•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Limited Edition... Celestron?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:53 PM

Got the mail from Astronomics today about the new limited edition carbon fiber EdgeHD Evolution (you DO subcribe to their mails, don't you?) smile.gif

https://www.astronom...-starsense.html

Seems odd to have limited edition products from the company that made its success on mass producing telescopes, with all the positives and negatives that implies.

I have absolutely no use for an Evolution mount. FTXv.2 Push-to + Nexus DSC is lighter and better, hands down. (at 3x the price, of course)

And I already have an EdgeHD 8 that works great. 

And carbon fiber. I doubt it would result in any better performance than the standard aluminum.

That said, I WANT IT

Edited by MikeMiller, 01 July 2020 - 11:56 PM.

• collaredkeeper likes this

#2 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:03 AM

Almost as pretty as the original NexStar with a carbon fiber tube, the NexStar 11 GPS.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

• mclewis1 and MikeMiller like this

#3 doublevodka

doublevodka

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Wales, UK

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:14 AM

That is pretty, but I think they missed a trick not going for orange in the carbon fibre...

It'd look awesome with something like this - https://compositeenv...m-5-5oz-186gsm/

• Michael_Swanson and MikeMiller like this

#4 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:48 AM

That is pretty, but I think they missed a trick not going for orange in the carbon fibre...

It'd look awesome with something like this - https://compositeenv...m-5-5oz-186gsm/

Wow, I didn't realize that colors were even an option.

I wonder how hard it would be to simply wrap an existing aluminum tube in that. I already have an orange camera (Atik Horizon I) and a black mount (Mach1).

It might not be a MoonRaker, but it would look good. :)

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:56 AM

The extra $250 seems to get you the CF tube, a 2" diagonal, different eyepieces, and neat badges ("badges, badges? We don't need no badges" ... lol.gif ).

I'm surprised it's only the 8" version, as it's the top end 9.25" model that needs the 2" diagonal and would to me be the better place to setup a special edition (a high end version). Perhaps Celestron doesn't think folks with extra money want the extra size and weight? It's a legitimate issue for many of those who might buy based primarily on looks.

I wonder how many old NexStar GPS owners they will snag with this little special edition because of the CF tube?

#6 lampcord

lampcord

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:32 AM

The extra $250 seems to get you the CF tube, a 2" diagonal, different eyepieces, and neat badges ("badges, badges? We don't need no badges" ... lol.gif ).

I'm surprised it's only the 8" version, as it's the top end 9.25" model that needs the 2" diagonal and would to me be the better place to setup a special edition (a high end version). Perhaps Celestron doesn't think folks with extra money want the extra size and weight? It's a legitimate issue for many of those who might buy based primarily on looks.

I wonder how many old NexStar GPS owners they will snag with this little special edition because of the CF tube?

Yeah for the money that looks like an OK deal. Interesting that it was released the day after the $350 discount on the 8" HD ended.

I guess they figured $600 for a CF tube, a 2" diagonal, different eyepieces, and neat badges might be a tougher sell.

#7 Steve C.

Steve C.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:34 AM

I think they missed an opportunity by not including the CPC heavy duty tripod.

#8 doublevodka

doublevodka

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Wales, UK

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:15 PM

Wow, I didn't realize that colors were even an option.

I wonder how hard it would be to simply wrap an existing aluminum tube in that. I already have an orange camera (Atik Horizon I) and a black mount (Mach1).

It might not be a MoonRaker, but it would look good. smile.gif

You can get sticky backed stuff which may work....

#9 mrki233

mrki233

Vostok 1

• Loc: Carlsbad, CA

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:54 PM

Has anyone ordered one of these?  It would be fun to see some pics and get a first-hand report.  I'm on the fence -- it would certainly be unique, but is 'unique' worth the extra cash?  

#10 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 16 July 2020 - 03:52 PM

..........."badges, badges? We don't need no badges" ... lol.gif ).......

Unless you are a Mercedes enthusiast.  "AMG Line" styling is little more than adding badges to a basic model, but it sells at a premium price. Maybe the Head of Product at Celestron drives a Merc? 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics