•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Laowa 9mm f/5.6 FF RL, the widest full frame non-fisheye lens ever

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Jersey, Channel Islands

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:39 AM

Manual lens, so I'm thinking a CCD/CMOS camera adaptor here.........

Laowa 9mm f/5.6 FF RL, the widest full frame non-fisheye lens ever

https://www.digitalc...sheye-lens-ever

#2 fbzolt

fbzolt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edgewood, NM

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:03 AM

Lens looks promising, but it is only for mirrorless mounts, so using it with cooled CCD/CMOS cameras could be a bit of a problem.  The Nikon Z mount stated as one of the options has a flange back focus of only 18 mm...slightly longer than a c mount lens.  It can be done depending on how complex the mounts are to the mirrorless cameras (don't have one myself), but are any vendors going to make the investment to make one to fit their cameras.

Frank Z...

• JerseyBoy likes this

#3 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:22 AM

The only way you could mount this on osc cmos, assuming the rear element does not stick out and hit the sensor glass, would be to replace the lens mount from Sony FE to a threaded m48. You would have to machine it to fit the lens and index the holes to mount on the lens in place of the old adapter. You would also need to do something with the electrical contact that likely controls aperture and af if availible.

Edited by calypsob, 02 July 2020 - 09:23 AM.

• JerseyBoy likes this

#4 fbzolt

fbzolt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edgewood, NM

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:00 AM

I stand corrected...the Nikon Z mount has only 16 mm of back focus.  The Leica-M mount that is also available has 27.8 mm which looks promising until you look at the flange itself which is a bayonet with a rather large insertion depth.  So, we not be seeing this lens on any cooled system soon.

Thanks,

Frank Z...

• JerseyBoy likes this

#5 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:33 PM

It will have to prove that it's really astro-capable.  I do have the MFT 7.5mm F/2 lens from Laowa, and while it's really a hit for landscape photography, astro is a different thing.  Stars are unforgiving, and the image corners more than clearly show this.

(Semi-OT: As MFT lens it has the advantage that there's an adapter for it for ZWO 1600 and 183 cameras; still musing if I should get a 183MC and that adapter, as I have more MFT lenses)

• JerseyBoy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics