•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium Off Axis guider setup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sathya

Sathya

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:18 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to setup the off axis guider in stellarium I've entered all details for my QHY5L II and checked the off axis guider box in the config. However, for the love of God I am not able to make the OAG red box appear in the display. No clue whats happening. My main imaging camera is a QHY9M.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Sathyakumar.

#2 Ben Diss

Ben Diss

Explorer 1

• Loc: Columbus, Ohio, USA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:24 AM

You mean in the Oculars plugin? You configured a sensor and entered the specifications of your camera and OAG? Then while viewing activated the sensor by clicking the sensor icon, and scrolled to activate the configured sensor with the OAG?

#3 Sathya

Sathya

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:28 AM

You mean in the Oculars plugin? You configured a sensor and entered the specifications of your camera and OAG? Then while viewing activated the sensor by clicking the sensor icon, and scrolled to activate the configured sensor with the OAG?

Hi Ben,

Yes, I configured both my QHY9M and the QHY5L-II sensores and checked the OAG box for the QHY5. But I am unable to understand how to make that red box appear alongside the big red box for the primary camera FoV

#4 neverfox

neverfox

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Chapel Hill, NC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:39 PM

I can tell you how to get the red box to appear: you need non-zero values for "Prism/CCD height" and "Prism/CCD width" in the OAG section of the sensor specification. But I'm still unsure what any of those settings actually mean. They're not the kind of specs I've ever been able to find in OAG manuals so perhaps you're expected to take some measurements yourself. But I've never seen a diagram or documentation that shows what to measure. The names of the parameters aren't obvious enough for me to deduce it. It's not even clear to me if one is supposed to do the OAG configuration in the specification of the main camera sensor or if it's supposed to be added on to a sensor configuration of the guide camera (which would seem to make the "Prism/CCD height" and "Prism/CCD width" redundant as you've already specified the size of the CCD over in that case).

#5 neverfox

neverfox

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Chapel Hill, NC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:08 PM

This video finally cracked the mystery for me and confirmed my suspicion that you're supposed to just put the guide camera specs into the OAG section of your main imaging sensor config. The first parameter has to be measured as the distance from the center line of the telescope (the center of the OAG barrel) to the bottom of the prism.

Edited by neverfox, 03 July 2020 - 06:09 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics