•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can this mount be motorized?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kurtenstein

kurtenstein

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Montréal

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:16 AM

Hi! I came across this telescope in the local ads (https://www.kijiji.c...69855?undefined). I’m looking for an eq3 mount for my mirrorless camera that I could motorize. At 125$ (canadian!) it looks like a bargain to me! 

However, I wonder if motors are available for this specific type of mount. Does anyone know the manufacturer of this mount? And what about a polar scope?

Many questions... many thanks!

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:51 AM

On the surface it looks like a fairly standard EQ3.

The image appears to have a plastic stopper where the polar scope would fit.

Tripod again looks like a standard (shaky) EQ3 tripod.

Motor are available for them, think even a full goto is available.

Motors are single or double - somewhat similar cost.

They are 6v running, and have a very basic box to control, around £120 here. Unit has a fancy name just not really fancy.

They are DC not steppers. They fit where the flexible twiddly bits are.

That is kind of opinion, but I suspect about right. Trouble with these bits is someone makes a small change and everything alters but I would be surprised if it not as I think.

Big aspect is the appanent polar scope cap. The EQ2 didn't have an option for a polar scope they didn't get in on the act until the EQ3 so if that is a polar scope cap - and it looks like one - then it is EQ3. And there are motors for EQ3.

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: behind you.

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:54 AM

yes call to the house of astronomy in montreal. ask to speak to guetan. 

Edited by sunnyday, 02 July 2020 - 10:48 AM.

#4 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:08 AM

an arduino nano ($5) , a drv8825 stepper carrier board from a 3d printer ( sub $5 ) and a 28byg motor ($2 ) and you can motorise that. even add autoguiding. some assembly required 🤣
  • zjc26138 likes this

#5 kurtenstein

kurtenstein

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Montréal

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:42 PM

On the surface it looks like a fairly standard EQ3.

The image appears to have a plastic stopper where the polar scope would fit.

Tripod again looks like a standard (shaky) EQ3 tripod.

Motor are available for them, think even a full goto is available.

Motors are single or double - somewhat similar cost.

They are 6v running, and have a very basic box to control, around £120 here. Unit has a fancy name just not really fancy.

They are DC not steppers. They fit where the flexible twiddly bits are.

That is kind of opinion, but I suspect about right. Trouble with these bits is someone makes a small change and everything alters but I would be surprised if it not as I think.

Big aspect is the appanent polar scope cap. The EQ2 didn't have an option for a polar scope they didn't get in on the act until the EQ3 so if that is a polar scope cap - and it looks like one - then it is EQ3. And there are motors for EQ3.

Thanks for the input. The seller says there's a polar scope included... but he didn'T seem to know much about telescopes, said it was given to him 20 years ago as a gift from work.

I'd say it's a Skywatcher. Any guesses about the brand?

#6 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:53 PM

I sold one just like that years ago and yes you can motorize it.  See here for a single drive controller:

https://www.telescop...rc/2160/e/6.uts

for the dual drive controller try one like this:

https://optcorp.com/...fBoCZ0YQAvD_BwE

The dual and single drive controller will not allow you to quickly slew to an object, they are more for fine tuning.  direct slewing is still a manual process.  I had the dual drive on the tripod with that exact type of tube when i sold it (that one however is not my old scope, its similar).  If the mirrors are properly aligned it is a really good scope for some planetary and solar as well as a few DSO's.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics