•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Draw Tube like astronomical instrumet.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:19 AM

Hello,

Anyone have used a Draw Tube like Swarovski CTC 30X75 ,CT 85 or similar like astro instrument ? Can be a good option for remote place, like high mountain..

Cheers,

Paul

#2 slingworks

slingworks

Sputnik

• Loc: Appalachian Ohio

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:03 PM

Hi Paul. 

I briefly owned a CTC 75. 30x.   To be honest I found it to be not all that great.  The eye relief was very short, I actually rubbed my eyelashes on the glass.  The resolution was not all that great either.  It was pretty heavy considering what it was. Maybe heavier than any comparable "portable" glass.

Mine was an older model. 80s?  It came with green leather caps and sling.   I purchased it used at a gunshow and I returned home I had it slung over my shoulder.  My wife (Who is from Romania) asked what it was and I told her it was a "Polish Anti-Tank Rocket." She was skeptical until I uncapped the objective end and told her it was the "guidance" end. smile.gif)   After that she became pretty nervous! I still laugh to myself about it.

The newest versions might be better?  What I did like about it, was the fact you can take it apart at your kitchen table and clean the prisms, etc....Hopefully something you wont be needing to do though. If you opt for an older version like I had, just about any 60mm Japanese scope is better. (Kowa 612, 614, etc).

Edited by slingworks, 02 July 2020 - 12:05 PM.

• paulsky and davidmcgo like this

#3 Charleybird

Charleybird

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:25 PM

Bit late seeing this thread; I have a CTS 85 with the 30x and 45x eypieces.  Had it for about a decade and used it very little really.  This is my take, I'm mostly a birder, looking upwards only occasionally, with binoculars.

The CTS is designed to be carried easily, slung over your shoulder like a messenger bag, up a mountain for example, to observe wildlife at some distance without a tripod.  This is what I got it for and used it maybe a couple of times each year, and it works well. 

The 45x really needs a tripod or substantial steadying method in all situations.  Just about works against a tree, or on a beanbag but the exit pupil is so small and shake is inevitable unless on a tripod.

The 30x is a very good eyepiece and much more forgiving to use braced on your knee etc.

A drawscope is simply not ideal for looking upwards at the heavens.  And you'll need to carry/use a tripod or those stars will wobble all over the place, even with the 20x eyepiece.

I've used it a few times looking at stars not too far above the horizon on my tripod and it wasn't comfortable, standing.  You'll need something like a large heavy manfrotto 161 or be sitting/on your back under a smaller tripod.  I decided not to go down that road. 

The reason the 90 degree eyepiece was invented...

• paulsky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics