•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help with ES EXOS-2 PMC-Eight

mount beginner
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stnagy

stnagy

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:20 AM

I recently purchased an EXOS-2 PMC-Eight mount to use for EAA. After performing a physical polar alignment using SharpCap and powering the mount on from the parked position, I find the mount cannot slew anywhere near the target when using the built-in GoTo functionality (ExploreStars app) or when using the ASCOM drivers. In most instances, the mount position is off by at least 10 degrees. 

I have essentially the same results after performing a virtual two- or three-star alignment, as well. 

I have now taken the mount out on three different nights without successfully getting the GoTo functionality working. Last night (the third night), I tried doing a three-star alignment after lining up the NCP using the mount’s polar scope. I intentionally used Merak as the first and the third star (and Schedar as the second star) to see what would happen. When the mount slewed to Merak to perform the third star alignment, its position was nowhere close to Merak despite having already synced on Merak as the first star. 

I have used EQ mounts before, but this is the first EQ mount I have owned. Am I within the realm of possible new user owner error, or do folks think it is likely I have a defective unit?

Thank you, 

Steve 

Edited by stnagy, 02 July 2020 - 08:24 AM.

#2 Devonshire

Devonshire

Mariner 2

• Loc: S/W Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:04 AM

I do AP with plate solving, so I'm in the wrong lane and never notice this myself.   But I HAVE seen the odd post on the support forum about pointing errors, and it usually comes down to a handful of possibilities.  From the followups I see, these do get resolved.  

I'd suggest you try doing a post with a similar problem statement, over on the PMC8 support forum.

https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN

• PatrickVt likes this

#3 Delson

Delson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:23 AM

Hi Steve,

Must ask - have you set your home Latitude and Longitude, time and time zone, Latitude (-ve for southern hemisphere and -ve for west)? Have you chosen the EXOS2 mount in the options - the G11 and EXOS100 have different scalings.

There are also options for Northern and Southern for direction of motion.

The 3 star alignment is best if the 3 stars are all widely spaced away from the pole. I am using a DSLR and the cone error was a couple of degrees - the first time I tried to set up I was aligning with the wrongs starts. If you show the alignments data you get a 3x3 matrix should be be ones and zeros if not your alignment is way off.

Explore Scientific have a web site for users. The management take a hands on approach and are very helpful both here in Cloudy Nights and on the website.

I'm very happy with my EXOS2 hope you get your teething problems sorted

Dave

#4 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:23 AM

I recently purchased an EXOS-2 PMC-Eight mount to use for EAA. After performing a physical polar alignment using SharpCap and powering the mount on from the parked position, I find the mount cannot slew anywhere near the target when using the built-in GoTo functionality (ExploreStars app) or when using the ASCOM drivers. In most instances, the mount position is off by at least 10 degrees

Whenever I see that the GoTo's are off by at least 10 degrees, I immediately think that Daylight Savings isn't set correctly.  One hour would be 15 degrees.  If I remember correctly, ExploreStars gets the time from whatever device you are using for ExploreStars.  So, my first question would be, "is your time, including daylight savings, set correctly on your device?"

Beyond this, I also would recommend you visit the PMC-8 support group (as Devonshire has recommended, above).  The purpose of that group is to resolve problems with the PMC-8 system (or user errors) and everyone there is exceptionally helpful.  

Patrick

#5 stnagy

stnagy

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for pointing me to the support group. I will post there, too, and see if I can get some assistance. 

In response to Patrick and Dave specifically, the time, location, and mount settings show correct values for my location and equipment.

Based on my prior experience doing visual observation I believe I am looking at the correct stars, but will check the alignment matrix next time I am out and see if it looks odd. 

• PatrickVt likes this

#6 NWAAstronomer

NWAAstronomer

Vendor (Explore Scientific)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:18 AM

Anyone who is having a problem with an Explore Scientific product should contact us at 866-252-3811, email service@explorescientific.com, or open a case in our customer portal at https://explorescien...upportsync.com/

As others have said above, the PMC-Eight Users Group cited above is a resource for people using the PMC-Eight system.

Kent Marts

Customer Service Manager

Explore Scientific

Edited by NWAAstronomer, 02 July 2020 - 12:45 PM.

• PatrickVt likes this

#7 stnagy

stnagy

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:17 PM

Thanks Kent. I have already reached out to ES support, but wanted to solicit feedback from the community at large as well in case anyone else had a similar experience. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics