Jump to content

  •  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tripod leg brace/accessory tray support broke on Greika 1400150 tripod (help fixing or replacing it)

tripod mount equipment
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jfinizolas

jfinizolas

    Lift Off

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 30 Jun 2020

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:22 AM

As the topic title says this crucial part due to my tripod design broke (probably because of the telescope own weight), now I can't use it anymore as the legs spread outwards when I put any weight on the tripod

Can you guys help me with any idea on how to fix it or replace? I can provide more info if needed. The telescope model is probably only known here in Brazil if it isn't based on any foreign model "Greika 1400150 reflector"

#2 doublevodka

doublevodka

    Explorer 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 60
  • Joined: 09 Jun 2020
  • Loc: South Wales, UK

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:35 AM

Could you post some pictures of the mount? Not familiar with the model but it might help pin down what it's based on as many manufacturers use similar parts.

 

Alternatively, someone may be able to suggest a simple fix.



#3 Xeroid

Xeroid

    Surveyor 1

  • *****
  • Posts: 1,811
  • Joined: 21 Sep 2013
  • Loc: USA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:04 AM

Not sure if this would help but how about adding a round wood eyepiece tray with clamps?

 

Does help to make a tripod (if that's what you have?) very stable

 

The clamps are called "OClamps" and the link shown is for Amazon USA:

 

https://www.amazon.c...93702107&sr=8-2

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_20190909_115918336_HDR.jpg


#4 jfinizolas

jfinizolas

    Lift Off

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 30 Jun 2020

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:43 AM

Sorry for taking long to post, but here is some photos of the tripod and broken piece

http://imgur.com/a/1hPk3TC

#5 jfinizolas

jfinizolas

    Lift Off

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 30 Jun 2020

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:47 AM

That round woodpiece idea could work but I wonder if it's possible to effectively glue the pieces with some kind of adhesive for plastic

#6 Hesiod

Hesiod

    Skylab

  • *****
  • Posts: 4,093
  • Joined: 13 Jan 2013

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:07 AM

I would rather suggest to purchase a small chain and craft from it a replacement: it is a matter of few euros and do not need any tool either (beside a measuring tape): go to your local hardware shop and have them cut three* pieces of chain of the right length, get a ring from a key holder (to fix the chains) and use either a piece of wire or small carabiners (I use these as it is easier to remove the chain) to secure the other end of each chain to the tripod's leg

 

gallery_215679_8115_121587.jpg

 

gallery_215679_8115_109832.jpg

 

In your case may create a loop with wire around each leg, or simply get a tad longer pieces of chain and have the chains themselves to wrap around

 

*otherwise may opt for a single longer chain: the design would be different, the result the same. As can see from the pics, this is how I did


Edited by Hesiod, 02 July 2020 - 11:16 AM.


#7 doublevodka

doublevodka

    Explorer 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 60
  • Joined: 09 Jun 2020
  • Loc: South Wales, UK

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:18 AM

Epoxy glue should do the trick looking at that part, unfortunately many tripods have brittle plastic parts and this does happen, leg clamps are notorious for it!



#8 jfinizolas

jfinizolas

    Lift Off

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 30 Jun 2020

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:35 AM

Thank for the help guys, I will probably try first with the epoxy because I already have some and give an update about the effectiveness of the fix later
  • doublevodka likes this

#9 jfinizolas

jfinizolas

    Lift Off

  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 30 Jun 2020

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:23 PM

So... I applied the epoxy and waited for about 8 hours just to be sure about the strength of the glue, but when I attached the telescope and EQ mount it only resisted for about 5 minutes before I started hearing some breaking noises and the epoxy finally giving up as the telescope slowly descended into the ground. The following day I decided to test super glue and baking soda as another adhesive option, I wasn't really optimistic about it so I am very surprised that it has been 8 hours since I mounted the telescope on the tripod and everything seems to be fine and holding together. I will very likely try another more effective fix like using chains on the legs just to be sure though
  • doublevodka likes this

#10 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

    Apollo

  • *****
  • Posts: 1,242
  • Joined: 12 Jul 2009
  • Loc: Broken Arrow (Tulsa Area) Oklahoma

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:27 PM

I think the chain would be the easiest and simplest fix. However, you could have a machine shop make a replacement for the broken plastic "Y"out of aluminum or steel - using the plastic pieces as a pattern. Probably more expensive than the chain - depending on whether there is a suitable machine shop or fabricator in your area. 




CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.


Recent Topics





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tripod, mount, equipment



Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics