•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mounting a SW 150 Mak

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

Hello Fellow Stargazers,

I just picked up a 150mm SkyWatcher MCT and have a Orion SVP EQ mount.  Will this mount suffice for visual use and perhaps capturing some images of the moon and planets with a DSLR?

I won't be doing deepsky imaging (famous last words, I know).  Just want to know if I can get by with this mount for my intended purposes now with out to much shakiness.

Thanks,

Doug

#2 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:57 AM

It should work for visually and for planetary imaging as well, especially if have the clock drive

As for the shakiness, it is up to your personal threshold: the scope will be steady, but not as a rock (I am a bit finicky, but use my C8 on the Astrotrac....)

#3 Synapsno

Synapsno

Vostok 1

• Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:33 AM

I use the Meade 178mm Maksutov-Cassegrain on an Orion Skyview Pro with the dual-axis TrueTrack motors and it works fine for visual and planetary photography. The EQ6 is better (and much heavier) but as long as I'm careful not to touch the telescope too much, it's pretty steady. 

#4 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:11 PM

I use the Meade 178mm Maksutov-Cassegrain on an Orion Skyview Pro with the dual-axis TrueTrack motors and it works fine for visual and planetary photography. The EQ6 is better (and much heavier) but as long as I'm careful not to touch the telescope too much, it's pretty steady. 

It should work for visually and for planetary imaging as well, especially if have the clock drive

As for the shakiness, it is up to your personal threshold: the scope will be steady, but not as a rock (I am a bit finicky, but use my C8 on the Astrotrac....)

Thanks for the input. I do have the TrueTrack drive motors and a polar scope.  I will be limited to the SVP for now and will have to make the best of it.  I was afraid it might be too shaky to get good visual focus, but I feel better that you are using an even larger (I'm sure heavier) mak-cass on the SVP and report it works fine, so I think I should be good to keep the mount.

Looking forward to getting back to doing some observing after my hiatus.  Once I have the new mak, it post my thoughts.

Clear and Dark Skies,

Doug

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics