•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gain settings on ASI290MM camera

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:22 AM

Just because I'm an extremely curious person, would anyone tell me what gain setting do you use for IR (742nm) Jupiter images with your ASI290MM camera. I typically use 300 with a frame rate of 20FPS. This morning I experimented with an exposure with a gain setting of 400. The FPS increased dramatically as expected, but also a lot of noise. I'm just curious, not really looking to change anything.

Thanks!

Paul M.

#2 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:21 PM

Paul, I typically have the gain up around 390-400 when using my 742nm filter and do get a bit more noise than the other channels, but no more than say my blue channel when I image Saturn. Derotating the images in Winjupos does help smooth things out. 

#3 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:29 PM

Paul, I don't have this camera, although 20FPS seems fairly slow for a bright planet such as Jupiter.  This can work well if seeing is very good, although under most conditions it is usually helpful to capture Jupiter at faster frame rates, which the 290 is easily capable of.  The noise from higher gain is photon shot noise, and this will average out with stacking.  As long as you are able to capture at the maximum frame rate for your ROI, higher gain is typically not a problem.  But you will have to test for yourself.  

#4 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:32 PM

Gotta wipe the egg off my face. I got FPS and exposure reversed. When I have the gain at 300 I am shooting at 50fps, not 20fps. It did seen really off. Thanks for the .txt file. BTW, I derotated the AVI with the gain at 400 and like suggested, it did clean up the noise fairly well. Another step, huh? BTW, at a gain of 400 I got 126fps. Nice!!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics