•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron SCT and if there is a difference between the Celestron and other brand reducer/correctors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ValhallaObserver

ValhallaObserver

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota North Suburbs of Minneapolis

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:38 AM

All,

I see people using a Celestron brand reducer/corrector and other brands reducer/corrector for an 8" SCT (mine is a CPC800). I would use it for moon and planetary imaging primarily though I always look to the future when making a purchase. Maybe it is not needed to image planets & lunar features? If it is or is not, is their an advantage to buying a Celestron brand verses another brand (like Astrotech). The off brand ones are much cheaper and maybe better? Anyone have any experience? I see most people using the Celestron brand.

On a side note are older used ones better than newer ones? My scope has a 2" visual back and is about 4-5 years old.

VO

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:52 AM

Bit odd but people put a barlow power mate on SCTs to image planets, not a reducer as in imaging DSOs.

Better add that the Skywatcher reducer for an SCT seems a bit "odd".

Some people say the back focus is 105mm, others say 110mm and I am sure I have read 93mm.

If I recall Skywatcher say nothing.

Have said I half suspect they had reducers made at 2 places and they had different specifications.

Edited by sg6, 02 July 2020 - 12:01 PM.

#3 barbarosa

barbarosa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:33 PM

The Celestron f/6.3 reducer-corrector works as it should. Meade SCT owners seem happy with the Meade reducer. I have not read anything to suggest that the clones superior.

Most of us are not able to do side by side comparisons of different brands, but the paucity of negative posts about any particular brand implies I think that people are satisfied with whatever they buy. One reason for that might be that many times flaws in optics that you can see when you look at the glass are not readily visible or visible at all when you put the glass to use.

I have a Celestron Cat, so my thought was why not buy the Celestron reducer corrector.? It was designed for Celestron SCTs to both reduce and correct for the uneven field of a standard SCT. The clones might be as good but why chance it.

There is another class of reducers to consider, those from Optec and Starizona

I've seen nothing to suggest that old versions are better. I suspect that the older Japanese made f/6.3 reducers are not better than the current products.

#4 goldtr8

goldtr8

Mariner 2

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:50 PM

You will not use a reducer for planets.   You will need a Barlow for that.    I use a Celestron one for my Orange Can.

#5 kisstek

kisstek

Viking 1

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:15 PM

My Celestron f/6.3 reducer/corrector has a much bigger coverage circle than my Antares 6.3 reducer. The Celestron will just cover my ASI1600's sensor while the Antares produced a nice circular image centered in the sensor.

The Celestron does cause some glare on bright stars but nothing compared to the Antares. I had big circles and swirls all over my images when I used the Antares. Which wasn't for long as the glare made everything unusable.

But that's a sample of two, so who knows if it's typical.

#6 ValhallaObserver

ValhallaObserver

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:14 AM

Has anyone use the Astro-Tech reducer? The one offered by our sponsor Astronomics?

VO

#7 KTAZ

KTAZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:41 AM

Has anyone use the Astro-Tech reducer? The one offered by our sponsor Astronomics?

VO

Pretty sure I posted this question some months back and never got any feedback. I was going to go that route, but many folks use the Celestron and are perfectly happy with it. You can pick one up here on the CN classified for somewhere between $95 and $125 (depends on supply and demand). I got mine for $100.

#8 ValhallaObserver

ValhallaObserver

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:35 PM

Thanks KTAZ.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics