•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Issues with mounting EAF

astrophotography accessories optics
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LuxAstron

LuxAstron

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central FL

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:52 PM

Hello, please can someone assist me with this. I don't know if I am doing it wrong or what, but I am having quite a bit of trouble. 

I have a ZWO EAF I am trying to connect to my 6" Orion Newtonian AStrograph. 

I thought this would be relatively easy. I was wrong.

The issue is, the bottom only has 5 screw slots, The middle one is the tension screw for the focus. The LOCK screw is actually a giant one on top I believe, thats how it seems to work at least.

The Tensioner bolt is big and a hand turned screw. I guess I should mount in through this, but the screw is not long enough due to the curved bottom to seat itself in the tension screw hole and still apply tension. I thought of using the screws for anti-vibration or w/e, the smaller lock screws. I could thread that in to tension the focuser, while not having the rest stick out and block the mount, but then again, the other screw holes.

The smaller screws you see, I have tried taking them out as well, and mounting them through the EAF plate. It does not reach up into the body enough to properly connect and meet the treads within the focuser, so the screw just falls out when as tight as possible.

Here are some pictures

Capture.PNG

#2 LuxAstron

LuxAstron

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:53 PM

here is another picture of the pattern.

Also, is the only issue that I have to go out and buy new screws to match the length I need? 

Attached Thumbnails

• focuser curve.PNG
  • focuserpatern.PNG

Edited by LuxAstron, 02 July 2020 - 12:54 PM.

#3 bjulihn

bjulihn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Langley, BC. Canada

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:25 PM

Hi There;

I ran into a similar problem on my ES80 refractor. I simply drilled a larger diameter hole in the EAF bracket slot to insert the tension screw into. See the attached picture. I hope this helps.

Brad

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020-ES80 CF-01 small.jpg

• OldManSky likes this

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:30 PM

Brad's solution is good.

You can also still go with just the one screw, using the hole for the tension screw (you won't be needing to adjust focuser tension or lock, because the EAF will hold the focuser in place), but you'll have to get the screw diameter and then get a longer screw from Home Depot (or your local equivalent).  It's likely 3mm, but do check.

The curved base makes things interesting -- use some of the washers that came with the EAF UNDER the mounting plate, between the plate and the focuser, so you're tightening your new longer screw against the flat top of the washers.

#5 LuxAstron

LuxAstron

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:06 PM

Brad, that is a really good idea, I just don't know if it is going to hold for me, possibly its my focuser? But when I remove that bottom middle screw, I am able to free turn my focuser knobs, and they do nothing to the focuser pipe, like the pipe does not move or respond to the knobs when the screw is out. The same as the top one. 

Is this an issue with my focuser? the fact that it wont stay tensioned? 

What I mean is, I have the  entire focuser mounted as you mentioned, 

(you won't be needing to adjust focuser tension or lock, because the EAF will hold the focuser in place)

Is this normally how it works? Because even if the ZWO EAF turns the knob, when that middle screw for tension is not in, nothing happens.

Edit: I will try grabbing some longer screws if they have them around here. Hopefully I can get them somewhere local.

Edited by LuxAstron, 02 July 2020 - 05:08 PM.

#6 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:23 PM

If it was me I’d replace the tension screw with an Allen set screw and adjust the focuser for the heaviest expected load. Then I would replace the four smaller screws with ones long enough to mount the plate. Shim the plate as required with small washers. I used a Dremel tool to enlarge the slots on my plate because the slots were a mm or so too narrow. Sounds like a lot, but I mounted my EAF within 10 minutes of opening the box.
  • OldManSky likes this

#7 LuxAstron

LuxAstron

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:39 PM

If it was me I’d replace the tension screw with an Allen set screw and adjust the focuser for the heaviest expected load. Then I would replace the four smaller screws with ones long enough to mount the plate. Shim the plate as required with small washers. I used a Dremel tool to enlarge the slots on my plate because the slots were a mm or so too narrow. Sounds like a lot, but I mounted my EAF within 10 minutes of opening the box.

Yep! This is what I have come to realize. There is no way around it, I am going to replace the screws as mentioned. I actually already used a dremel for enlarging the holes, its just the current screw was still to short, I bet by like 1mm or something :(

I will post back once I get the screws and all tomorrow, now I have to worry about balancing it D:

#8 bjulihn

bjulihn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Langley, BC. Canada

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:01 PM

Hi LuxAstron;

I hope you are making progress. I think some of the other posts are likely more helpful with choosing the modifications required such as changing out the screws. We are cheering for you and looking forward to a description and picture when you succeed.

Brad

#9 LuxAstron

LuxAstron

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:32 AM

Hello, So I have been working on this and getting it set up. I have not had the time to go to the store to grab some of the required screws, so I went ahead and purchased them online, all different lengths.

I attempted to do exactly what you did Brad, but the holes on the focuser would not match up with any of them on the aluminum bar. I am having to order my own custom bar I am creating in a 3d program. 

When set with one screw, it was no where near tight enough. It kept the EAF at a really crooked angle due to the bar shaping itself to the bottom curves of the focuser. Even when trying to put the washers in between, I was having significant difficulty. I have since been able to get it holding for the time being by doing a cross pattern in the screws, one close to me on the left side, and one far right on the rear. I then had to do what AHBOK mentioned and use a HEX Screw to tension the tensioner as there was no way possible I could have used the provided screw, even after drilling the hole (which is not pretty, the bracket caught my drill bit and yea... I C-Clamped it the next time LOL.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, accessories, optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics