•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunar Sketch 6 of 12: Clavius

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DDEV

DDEV

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:48 PM

Hi All,

Last month in Ireland was a pretty bad month for observing - cloudy most nights. So, I only managed a couple of observational sessions. One of those took place on the 1st of the month. It was a warm and calm evening. I estimated the transparency between 4 - 5, but the seeing was less good, maybe 5.

I attempted to sketch the crater 'Clavius' [58.4°S, 14.4°W]. Using a 6mm expanse eyepiece, which has a 66° AFOV, I observed Clavius at 200X. There were times when I added a Shorty 1.25" 2X Barlow Lens, but it was a challenge to keep up with a moving target.

What is more, I found this crater particularly difficult to sketch because of the number of features in and around the main crater. Consequently, I never managed to finish it. So, what I have submitted is 'work in progress'. I would like to revisit it again though.

Other details from that evening include:

Seeing: 5pk
Transparency: 4- 5
Instrument used: f/8 150mm Newtonian Reflector
Eyepiece: 6mm Expanse (66° AFOV)
Materials used: 2B pencil, a kneaded eraser, an eraser shield. The image was sketched at the eyepiece, and cropped and reszied using GIMP 2.0. The sketch was scanned, and uploaded to my PC.

As always many thanks for taking the time to read the above, and your comments and feedback are always welcomed.

Clear skies to all,

Darren.

CLAVIUS IFAS annotated resized.png

CLAVIUS IFAS resized.png

Edited by DDEV, 02 July 2020 - 04:50 PM.

• Jef De Wit, rerun, steve t and 13 others like this

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:38 PM

Hello Darren,

This sketch of crater Clavius is very nicely done. It is a large regal crater and very busy to sketch. I have done the push and sketch technique without a telescope drive and that add greatly to the challenge.

Excellent work.

Frank :)

• flt158 and DDEV like this

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:42 AM

Darren,

Very nice Lunar Sketch 6 of 12: Clavius smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif .

Tom

• DDEV likes this

#4 DDEV

DDEV

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Posted 06 July 2020 - 04:58 PM

Hi Frank, and Tom. I hope you are keeping well. Very many thanks for your messages, and apologies for the delay getting back to you... I thought I had sent a message of thanks, but I was wrong.

I found it difficult getting the proportion of the inner arc-shaped craters of Clavius right. All part of learning I suppose.

Also, thank you to those who liked sketch, I always appreciate the support.

Clear skies,

Darren.

Edited by DDEV, 07 July 2020 - 01:54 PM.

• flt158 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics