•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Changing OTA & changing settings in Software

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vaticanaddict

vaticanaddict

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:52 PM

Hi guys.
I use an NEQ6 Pro mount and operate it via EQASCOM, APT & CDC.
Usually my 102mm. Apo Refractor (700mm. focal length) is on but a couple of days ago I mounted my EdgeHD8" on. It was a desaster. The long Focal Length (still with the x0.7 Reducer) was a nightmare.
My question is: when changing OTA's - besides setting the new Focal Length in APT - should I also make required changes elsewhere - in ASCOM, EQMOD, CDC?.
Thanks,
E.J.

#2 scadvice

scadvice

Vanguard

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:29 PM

Did you multiply your 2023mm F/L by the reducer .7 to get the corrected F/L. And also PHD2 under  brain -> Guiding -> Calibration-> Focal length... put it there??

Edited by scadvice, 02 July 2020 - 05:40 PM.

#3 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:14 PM

Switching between the two will always require a number of different settings, even with the SCT reduced.  I see this with systems that are side-by-side mount with a refractor on one side and an EdgeHD on the other.  They don't do well, but the SCT particularly does not do well, when trying to use the settings for one scope with the other scope.  The differences in design and construction and between the refractor and reflector are generally sufficient to make them somewhat incompatible.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics