•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Barlow and focal ratio question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rutherford Co, TN

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:54 PM

<p>I know that if you use a 2x barlow on an f/4 scope, you get the power of an f/8 scope, but does it perform like an f/8 scope in every way? I've never had two scopes that were like this side-by-side to see if it did this so I just thought I would ask. I assume that it would not.&nbsp;</p>

#2 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:58 PM

No.  If it's a Newtonian, it will still have the coma from the F/4 mirror.  If it's a refractor, it will still have the chromatic aberration of the F/4 lens.

Edited by howardcano, 02 July 2020 - 05:00 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and Michael Covington like this

#3 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:03 PM

If you want a better result you need to use a tele-extender instead. The extra elements are designed to shape the light cone so its closer to the resulting F-ratio not the original one.

#4 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:19 PM

If you want a better result you need to use a tele-extender instead. The extra elements are designed to shape the light cone so its closer to the resulting F-ratio not the original one.

That doesn’t change the answer though. A reflector will still have the same amount of coma, and a refractor will still have the same amount of CA.

#5 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rutherford Co, TN

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:31 PM

I was thinking this would be the answer but I couldn't remember for sure. I should have though because I'm well aware of coma and CA. Maybe I've been sleeping too much or not enough for something.Thanks to all. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics