•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Filter Stress Tolerances

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rocketrat1

Rocketrat1

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: California

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:51 PM

The title might seem stressful at first but its really just a basic question that I need cleared up (see what I did there, STRESSFUL lol.gif ). Anyway I'm thinking of using an Oiii filter with my dslr to try to bring out faint Oiii object the giant squid nebula. My current plan is to use and adapter to convert the back of my lens to m42 threads, then from there just screw on a filter and then to the back of that filter screw the camera. Will the filter hold up the the weight of my camera pulling down on the back? Seems like it would but I don't want to risk breaking a good filter. 

#2 44maurer

44maurer

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:25 AM

I have done something similar before and did not have any problems. I don’t think I would do it with an expensive filter tho.

#3 robbieg147

robbieg147

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:23 PM

This sounds like you are doing something wrong here? The safest way would be to insert a filter into the adapter ring which connects to your camera. Baader do one for Cannon, this also prevents dust etc. from getting into the camera.

https://www.firstlig...ont side) More

or something like this

https://www.teleskop...ow-Profile.html

Edited by robbieg147, 05 July 2020 - 01:53 AM.

#4 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:58 PM

That depends on the filter.  I have a couple of filters myself that have very little threading on one side of it, usually the business end and if i put a heavy weight on it, the threads don't hold.  Scratch one camera.  If your filter has deep threads on BOTH sides and seem to hold well enough that you can gently push down on the barrel of the T adapter on the end and not have it come apart then it should hold the camera.  However if you are really worried then might i suggest you get a filter wheel or slider?  This way you can not only not worry about the weight but if wanted can also easily switch filters without having to disassemble everything and thus throw off any flats you might have forgotten to take?  wink.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics