•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SynScan Pro Windows App (Serial Connection) with Synscan V5 Hand Controller and Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G GoTo Mount Connection Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ImTeep

ImTeep

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:56 PM

Hi all,

I am trying to use the SynScan Pro App on Windows 10 with serial connection to a SynScan V5 Handheld Controller to remotely control an Orion Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G GoTo mount. However, I am having trouble getting the application to establist connection with the mount.

Here is my process and where the issue arises: I set up the mount, plug in the V5 HC to the mount by the serial RJ-12 port, connect the hand controller using the RJ-45 port and an RS232-to-USB adapter to connect the controller to my computer. I then power on the mount (making sure not to hot plug), set the location and date and all that on the hand controller, then put it into PC Direct mode. 

In the SynScan Pro application, I set my location as it requires, then I make sure the connection setting is set to 'Serial' and the correct port is selected. I then click the big 'Connect' button at the top, and if everything goes according to plan it will ask me to select if the mount is in 'Alt-Az mode' or 'Equatorial Mode'. I click 'Alt-Az' and it will continue to try to connect and after a few seconds, it will inevitably say 'Cannot Connect' (see attached image). I have looked around to see if anybody else is having a similar problem or if I am just doing something wrong? I am doing everything this guy is doing http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qjdNiX4Z2bQ --Note that he is using the handheld's USB port to connect instead of the RJ-45. Though, I have also tried that and I get the same result.

I have updated the HC's firmware, I have the most recent version of the SynScan Pro Windows app that I can find, I have updated my ASCOM drivers.

Don't know if this is helpful, but I can control the mount using Stellarium, so a connection can be established through the HC. I'm wanting to be able to fine adjust the telescope like the hand controller, but remotely from my computer. Is there maybe another HC emulator I could try out?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot.png

Edited by ImTeep, 02 July 2020 - 06:01 PM.

#2 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:23 PM

I don't use mine very often so I'm not 100% sure, but you might have to select PC Direct/pass  through mode on the hand controller.

Edited by S.Boerner, 02 July 2020 - 06:26 PM.

#3 descott12

descott12

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:32 PM

This SyncScan stuff is VERY confusing regarding the HC and whether you use direct mode or not. I have a new AZ-EQ5 and I got the app to connect direct to the mount via USB and via the V5 HC and I am pretty sure I didn't choose direct mode. I think direct mode is maybe mostly for firmware updates??

Anyway, have you tried in normal mode?

#4 jgbeall

jgbeall

Explorer 1

• Loc: 34.4N 118.5W

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:04 PM

I haven't read this website article yet, but maybe it can help you.

https://www.atm-work...pc-connect.html

Edited by jgbeall, 02 July 2020 - 07:54 PM.

#5 ImTeep

ImTeep

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:16 PM

This SyncScan stuff is VERY confusing regarding the HC and whether you use direct mode or not. I have a new AZ-EQ5 and I got the app to connect direct to the mount via USB and via the V5 HC and I am pretty sure I didn't choose direct mode. I think direct mode is maybe mostly for firmware updates??

Anyway, have you tried in normal mode?

Doing it in not in PC-Direct Mode doesn't work either :( If I do it that way, it wont even bring up the option to choose Alt-Az Mode or Equatorial Mode, it will just say 'Connecting...' for a few seconds then 'Cannot Connect' like above. Worth a shot.

#6 ImTeep

ImTeep

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:31 PM

For anybody who comes across this in the future, I gave up on the SynScan application and found an alternative in the ASCOMPAD V2.09: http://eq-mod.source...et/apindex.html

Hope this helps someone.

• MrADLV66 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics