•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Neximage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tuttle762

Tuttle762

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Beckley WV

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:32 AM

Just getting back into astronomy after almost a 20 year break !!  I scored myself a Celestron 6se off of eBay , with a TON of extra goodies that made the deal add up to quite bargain , I did't plan on getting into photography right away but it was a plan down the road , but there was an unexpected surprise in the box of goodies that came in the box !  A Celestron Neximage ,  I opened it up and it was still sealed in the plastic ,  making my bargain  seem even sweeter .......  Until I used it  ,  and I have to say  I couldn't have been more disappointed in any aspect of its performance . I am no tech slouch and took a tour through all the settings and came to two conclusions , this thing is either fit for a tanerite surprise or I am doing something terribly wrong  , and i can except I am the issue !  

My usual course of action is to throw my wallet at a problem until it goes away , but after bruising it getting myself a new setup I might have to approach this with more caution !   

Better USB camera ?

DSLR ?

Learn to paint ?

I understand my mount sucks for DSO , and in time will fix that , but I want to capture the gas giants with some of the glory i get to see in the eye piece

IMG_20200703_022354.jpg

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 02:29 AM

You don't say what you *did* try. Did you see these instructions?

If you don't want to mess with it (and it's probably a rather obsolete camera that's nowhere near state of the art) then:

1) You can use a DSLR. You would take a video. If it's a Canon or Nikon you can use Backyard EOS/Nikon to control the capture and help you focus. 

2) You can use a dedicated camera such as the ASI224MC. You would use Sharpcap (free) as capture software.

In both cases, your images would be stacked in AutoStakkert!3, sharpened in Registax, and post-processed if necessary in Gimp or Photoshop. 

For best results you'll want a 2X Barlow, and a UV/IR-cut filter. A Bahtinov mask would help with focus (you would first use it to focus on a star, then take it off and slew to your planet). 

• Tuttle762 likes this

#3 Tuttle762

Tuttle762

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Beckley WV

Posted 03 July 2020 - 02:52 AM

It came with iCap 2.4  , software that doesn't seem up to the task !    I was using it to capture and view images , but it was so glitchy I knew I was spinning my wheels with it .  SharpCap was the next bit of software I used , seem much more capable , but I could never really seem to get my white balance / brightness to settle down .   I will go through these instructions you linked to , they seem to be much much better than the bundled instructions that came with the camera  ! I appreciate the information  ! 

I will give the ASI224MC a look as well ,  I don't mind starting with something of known quality to know I am at least fighting my own ignorance vs. my ignorance and lacking gear !   Ignorance can be remedied ! 

Edited by Tuttle762, 03 July 2020 - 02:55 AM.

#4 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:15 AM

I think theose Neximage cameras tried to do a lot of the general stuff for you, and when they came out imaging was way less advanced then now.

Someone one somewhere likely decided on what was a good idea and had it implimented, just a good idea 15 years ago is not a good idea now. And the interface will have moved on. Simple example is a serial port was 9600 and 19200 if you were lucky, now it is USB2 and more often USB3 way way faster and basically incompatible - both serial.

Suggest you put it to one side and look at the newer camera options, then look a bit into how the Neximage camera functions - some cameras would determine just good frames and display or stack those. Back to who decided what was a good frame? And how good.

• Tuttle762 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics