•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars 2 July 2020 and update on the dust storm

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:58 AM

Hi all,

I had a rather unsuccessful go at Mars on 30 July (edit: June, sorry) where a screaming jet stream and a very approximate collimation effort under poor seeing left me with a Mars that would not have looked too out of place in Kevin's Square Planet Challenge.

Last night was better in terms of seeing, though still not great, but the arrival of my Bob's Knobs yesterday meant I was more easily able to collimate.

Mars was looking dusty and so I present the RGB, R and IR685 images to try and give some impression of what you can see, and what is obscured, from this vantage point. Looking at ALPO, the dust seems to be spreading to the rest of Mars, but this view at CM 11- 334 still has the most obvious impact on albedo. Note what appears to be a light patch south of Meridiani Planum in Noachis Terra. I do feel that the dust storm in May 2018 that went global was more intensely blanketing over the surface details after a very few days than this one is.

Mars 2 July 2020.png

I also attach a series of my images from the last week showing progress in the dust storm over the last week, including the dodgy 30 June image that was affected by bad seeing and sub-optimal collimation. The arrows show the dust plume (25 and 27 June, and the light patch (2 July).

Dust storm progress 2 July.jpg

Regards

Mark

Edited by Lacaille, 03 July 2020 - 07:35 AM.

• John Boudreau, Pete Gorczynski, Dean Norris and 19 others like this

#2 Jenz114

Jenz114

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southwest Missouri, USA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:05 AM

Great work! Thank you for the update.

• Lacaille likes this

#3 Foc

Foc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:25 AM

Mark, this is a very pleasing set of images of the dust on Mars set out and explained in a precise scientific presentation.  Your IR images nicely show characteristic detail through the dust.

Me,.... I suspect  ZWO perhaps assisted by their rivals is somehow selfishly creating this latest Martian dust storm simply to sell a heap more of the soon to be released new more IR-sensitive planetary camera.

• happylimpet and Lacaille like this

#4 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: behind you.

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:29 AM

superb photo, the delay is magnificent, like the colors.
I also like your count for the opposition.
well done and thank you.

• Lacaille likes this

#5 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:31 AM

Great images!! The unsuccessful session was, of course on June 30, not July 30, but very the July 2 images are impressive!! waytogo.gif

Edited by Sunspot, 03 July 2020 - 07:33 AM.

• Lacaille likes this

#6 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 04 July 2020 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for the likes and kind comments.

Mark, this is a very pleasing set of images of the dust on Mars set out and explained in a precise scientific presentation. Your IR images nicely show characteristic detail through the dust.

Me,.... I suspect ZWO perhaps assisted by their rivals is somehow selfishly creating this latest Martian dust storm simply to sell a heap more of the soon to be released new more IR-sensitive planetary camera.

Thanks Ross! That could be it, though one suspects we are fulfilling a law of diminishing returns with improvements to the current generation of cameras.

#7 DMach

DMach

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:45 AM

Nice set of images Mark!

• Lacaille likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics