•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need a new case - any suggestions?

accessories equipment refractor
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:02 AM

Waiting on a new Astro-Tech AT72EDll. It doesn’t come with a case, so I am just now starting to see what my options are. Any suggestions will help. Thanks, Mark

#2 Simcal

Simcal

Messenger

• Loc: Caledon, Ontario

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:36 AM

Have a Pelican for my mount, and an SKB for my scopes. Happy with both.  No difference in them really.  B&H usually have cases on sale.. seems almost weekly.

• MarkGregory likes this

#3 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:43 AM

Harbor freight now makes a case that is similar to a pelican.  For custom cut foam look at mycasebuilder.com.  I use a seahorse se730 case from them as my eyepiece case.  

• MarkGregory likes this

#4 jupiter122

jupiter122

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sudbury, MA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:47 AM

Unless you’re transporting it in an airline cargo hold, a soft case is probably sufficient. But if you want total protection a Pelican case is hard to beat. They are rock-solid but they’re expensive. If you’re going to transport a diagonal and eyepieces in the same case, the price could be worth it.

Tim

Edited by jupiter122, 03 July 2020 - 07:49 AM.

• MarkGregory likes this

#5 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:20 AM

Unless you’re transporting it in an airline cargo hold, a soft case is probably sufficient. But if you want total protection a Pelican case is hard to beat. They are rock-solid but they’re expensive. If you’re going to transport a diagonal and eyepieces in the same case, the price could be worth it.

Tim

I'll check them out. Thanks.

#6 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:21 AM

Harbor freight now makes a case that is similar to a pelican.  For custom cut foam look at mycasebuilder.com.  I use a seahorse se730 case from them as my eyepiece case.  

Thank you, will check them out. Kind of like the idea of custom foam. Mark

#7 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:42 PM

Thank you, will check them out. Kind of like the idea of custom foam. Mark

with my case builder the process is involved but straightforward. You use their software to define the cuts and purchase the case and the foam from them.  fFollow the instructions on their website and things will come out very well.  

Here is a review I did a number of years ago. https://www.cloudyni...-builder”-r2728

• MarkGregory likes this

#8 mrki233

mrki233

Vostok 1

• Loc: Carlsbad, CA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:13 PM

Pelican 1450 Protector Series -- perfect size for this scope, a couple of eyepieces and a diagonal.

https://www.pelican..../protector/1450

waytogo.gif

• MarkGregory likes this

#9 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2020 - 03:30 AM

with my case builder the process is involved but straightforward. You use their software to define the cuts and purchase the case and the foam from them.  fFollow the instructions on their website and things will come out very well.  

Here is a review I did a number of years ago. https://www.cloudyni...-builder”-r2728

Thanks for sending me the link to your article. Will definitely read it. Mark 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, equipment, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics