•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The QHY9M Camera from QHYCCD

astrophotography beginner ccd classic equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sathya

Sathya

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:02 AM

For a really long time the 8300 Monochrome sensor has been the goto sensor for many an astrophotographer. QHYCCD company also employs this sensor in the now Classic QHY9M Monochrome camera. Below is a really quick review of teh camera

1)An absolute brilliant piece of equipment for a far lesser price than competitors. 

2)Ample pixel size for most telescope to get good sampling.

3) -50C below ambient cooling eliminates darks.

4) the filterwheel accomodates a variety of filters based on users choice.

This review is after four years of use and it still thrills me everytime I use this nice camera.

Regards,

Sathyakumar

#2 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:33 AM

Many people will try to tell you that the 8300 chip is old, out-dated tech.  Personally, i think it is a wonderful chip.  I love my QSI 8300 based camera.

#3 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittstown, NY

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:14 AM

I have not been a fan of the 8300 sensors recently.  I switched from an Atik 383L+ (KAF-8300) to a QSI 660ws (Sony ICX-694) in 2016, and the improvement in noise levels  was so great that it cut my integration time down by 2X.  On fainter targets, the final results obtained with the QSI camera are unachievable with the other (no matter how long the integration time).

After reading Chris's comment, one thing we have in common is that we like our QSI cameras.  Maybe it's not just the sensor that was contributing to the high noise levels in my 383L+? 

• jdupton likes this

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:50 PM

It's a fine chip.

For me, the "Ample pixel size for most telescope to get good sampling" comment doesn't apply.  I like/do wide-field, short focal-length imaging mostly.  With the 8300 chip's pixel size, I would be seriously under-sampled. :)

#5 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 03 July 2020 - 02:42 PM

I have not been a fan of the 8300 sensors recently. I switched from an Atik 383L+ (KAF-8300) to a QSI 660ws (Sony ICX-694) in 2016, and the improvement in noise levels was so great that it cut my integration time down by 2X. On fainter targets, the final results obtained with the QSI camera are unachievable with the other (no matter how long the integration time).

After reading Chris's comment, one thing we have in common is that we like our QSI cameras. Maybe it's not just the sensor that was contributing to the high noise levels in my 383L+?

Not sure. I have a qsi 6120 and a 683. The 6120 is definitely much cleaner, but i have the 683 on a wide scope and absolutely love it.

#6 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittstown, NY

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:15 PM

I had a lot of problems with my 383L+ besides the noise levels.  There were (bad) column defects that would come and go randomly.  By the time I got around to taking darks & bias the next day, they were sometimes gone, so what do you do now?  I had to constantly replace the dessicant every couple of weeks, and even so, moisture got inside the chamber.  I had fixed pattern noise that was awful, but it only lasted a few weeks and then disappeared.  Then it came back a year later (?).   Finally, the chip got a large, dark blotch on it because grease migrated up  onto the sensor,  according to the manufacturer.  Wait, what?  I also had consistent problems with the Atik filter wheel not functioning right, had to replace it when the USB connector broke off ($730),  and then had more electrical problems with the new one. 

When I bought the QSI camera with the internal filter wheel, all this nonsense just went away.   It was like upgrading from a CGEM to a Paramount (which I also did).  Now that Atik bought QSI, I don't know what to think.   lol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, ccd, classic, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics