•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iPolar question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:14 AM

I have a new iOptron mount and have not yet used the iPolar.  At my usual site (in my driveway), depending on where I put the telescope, the tree line either is right below Polaris or blocks Polaris itself (but shows the stars above it).

I understand the iPolar can still work in these situations.  And I see in the instructions a procedure for blocking out rectangles to be ignored.  In fact, the instructions show a lot of rectangles.

Do I actually need to block out rectangles for everything the trees are blocking?   Or is that only for situations where there might be lights or something else confusing the software?

Also, I understand SharpCap supports the iPolar.  How does it compare to the iPolar's own software?

#2 mborland

mborland

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:14 AM

I also shoot from my driveway and there's a large pine tree about 10 degrees to the right of Polaris. I've never bothered to block anything out and haven't had issues with iPolar. Even with the obscuring tree, iPolar finds 20-30 stars, so I think it doesn't matter if some part of the sky is not visible

I'd try it without blocking out anything and see how it goes. If the virtual pole is not stable, then you'll probably need to try blocking out regions or even finding a better place to set up.

--Michael

• Michael Covington likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics