•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Se Series

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rcooch

Rcooch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:32 AM

I just wanted to know if the older Nexstar se are the same as a brand new one> Looking to get one used i see some that are like 8 years old so i don't know what I'm getting if purchased

#2 southerndandy

southerndandy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Metro West Boston

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:55 AM

As far as I know the SE stuff is all similar throughout the line.  There have been different versions of hand control and different versions of hand control software.  Newer ones have a USB port on the HC.  As far as the scope itself, age doesn't really matter as long as all the optics are still in good shape.  This link can tell you about the different HC and software versions.

https://www.nexstars...om/Firmware.htm

That site has a ton of useful info on all things Nexstar.  I have a 6SE (that I've added the GPS and Star Sense to) and love it.  That's my 2 cents.  Hope it helps you. 

• PXR-5 likes this

#3 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Skylab

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:46 AM

SE stands for second edition. There is an earlier version where the OTA doesn't separate from the mount and the hand controller can't be updated.

• PXR-5 and Peter_D like this

#4 Nippon

Nippon

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:56 AM

The only difference in the optical tubes is that earlier tubes did not have a Fastar secondary assembly and later models do. But I believe Celestron just standardized on the Fastar secondary assembly in all of their SCTs. As far as the mounts Celestron beefed up the altitude spur gear bearing after the original bearings failing proved to be common. Mine failed and I was able to order a new altitude motor assembly and repair it myself. I personally would look for a used one with the Fastar secondary because I believe it will be up to the current SE scopes as far as upgrades. 

• Hesiod likes this

#5 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: NC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:48 AM

SE stands for second edition. There is an earlier version where the OTA doesn't separate from the mount and the hand controller can't be updated.

LOL, really?

How creative.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics