•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

E in the Sky - Barnard 143

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vnc1218

vnc1218

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:49 AM

Hell there!  I just wanted to this photo of a rarely imaged nebula in Aquila - Barnard 143.  It's only distinguishing feature... it looks like the letter E.

Dark nebula are always difficult to process, and this one was no exception.  Pulling out the faint dustiness without clipping the background proved to be quite a challenge.

Especially the faint nebulosity on the left side of the frame was very hard to distinguish.  I tried to consult other images on astrobin to see where the nebulosity was, but none of them went deep enough.  In the end, I think what I brought out was in fact dark nebulosity, not just processing artifacts.  All the major nebulous regions match, so I'm guessing the rest matches as well.  Oh well.

get.jpg?insecure

C&C Welcome!

Edited by vnc1218, 03 July 2020 - 12:51 PM.

• Starman27, mikewayne3, Hesiod and 4 others like this

#2 JDShoots

JDShoots

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, North East

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:49 PM

Awesome.   

Too funny, I was just talking about this, saying I need to try it.  

Was this remotely visible in the subs on the camera??  I mean crank up the iso, would you know where you were framing it?  I have no guiding or plate solving and there are very few landmarks surround it to go by like I had when shooting the Heart nebula. 

Great work, you really make me need to do this:)  I love your processing on the stars too, makes the E really work.  

• vnc1218 likes this

#3 vnc1218

vnc1218

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:09 PM

I'm glad you liked it smile.gif.

For framing purposes, the nebula could be seen at 2 seconds ISO 3200, but only because of the slight lack of stars in the darkest areas.  In the regular subs (4 minutes), the main dark nebulosity was quite visible.  The faint outer nebulosity didn't show up until the some careful curves in the final integration.  I think this is an excellent nebula to try.  The region is extremely high contrast, and should make framing a wide field shot easier than otherwise.  I even saw a good amount of the nebulosity from a 2 hour integration from my Bortle 7 backyard.

If I'll be honest, the framing on the "E" didn't quite pan out the way I'd hoped for it to.  I didn't realize it, the way I framed the nebula perpendicular to the bottom really de-emphasized the surrounding nebulosity.  If I were to do it over, I'd probably rotate the "E" a bit from where it is right now.

Looking forward to seeing your capture of it.  Good luck!

Edit: A framing like this would have been a bit better I think

B143-alt-crop.jpg

Edited by vnc1218, 03 July 2020 - 01:22 PM.

#4 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: behind you.

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:10 PM

very successful, this object must be quite difficult to capture.
thanks.

#5 vnc1218

vnc1218

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:47 PM

Thanks!  These dark nebula are difficult to do, but they give such a nice result.

• sunnyday likes this

#6 JDShoots

JDShoots

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:07 PM

..... the nebula could be seen at 2 seconds ISO 3200, but only because of the slight lack of stars in the darkest areas. 

......I think this is an excellent nebula to try.  The region is extremely high contrast, and should make framing a wide field shot easier than otherwise.  I even saw a good amount of the nebulosity from a 2 hour integration from my Bortle 7 backyard.

Excellent, and in Bortle 7.  I will try this, mine will be a little wider, I'll use a 500mm on an APS-C.  This is a good one to plan on since M101 is sneaking by me behind a cloud of darkness.  Thanks for all the tips! 

#7 vnc1218

vnc1218

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:27 PM

Here's an example 240 second sub from my Bortle 7 backyard 

Attached Thumbnails

• 100.00-0017_c_d_a_r.jpg

#8 JDShoots

JDShoots

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:08 PM

Nice.  Clearly visible.  I will only be shooting 60s subs w/o guiding, so hopefully it still come out.  Man filling the frame like that you must be pushing 1000mm.  

What's that smudge in the lower right on that shot.  Looks interesting.  

#9 vnc1218

vnc1218

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:45 PM

Lol this was taken with my SV80 at f/5.6 and 448mm.  It's quite a large object.

The bottom right (I think) was a piece of dust that moved between flats and lights.  Luckily it was rejected in the stacking process

Edited by vnc1218, 03 July 2020 - 07:45 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics