•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Sirius computer control

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 southerndandy

southerndandy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Metro West Boston

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

Morning.  I've got an Orion Sirius mount that I've been primarily using for AP for the better part of a year.  I've been controlling it with my PC by using a USB cable from the HC and setting it to "PC Direct Mode".  That USB goes to a powered hub attached to the mount where the cameras are also connected.  I have EqMod/ASCOM and it's all been working well (after an initial period of figuring out how to get it to all talk to each other).  I know that a lot of people get rid of the HC and just use an Eqdirect cable. 

My question is then is there any benefit of using the EqDirect cable over the HC in PC Direct Mode?  The way I've been doing it has been working, so is it kind of if it ain't broke don't fix it?  I suppose it would be one less thing to have hanging off the mount if I got rid of the HC.  If I used the EqDirect cable, could I run that through the powered USB hub like I do now?

Appreciate any input, thanks.   

#2 Aaron_tragle

Aaron_tragle

Viking 1

• Loc: Richmond, Virginia

Posted 03 July 2020 - 11:15 AM

Morning.  I've got an Orion Sirius mount that I've been primarily using for AP for the better part of a year.  I've been controlling it with my PC by using a USB cable from the HC and setting it to "PC Direct Mode".  That USB goes to a powered hub attached to the mount where the cameras are also connected.  I have EqMod/ASCOM and it's all been working well (after an initial period of figuring out how to get it to all talk to each other).  I know that a lot of people get rid of the HC and just use an Eqdirect cable. 

My question is then is there any benefit of using the EqDirect cable over the HC in PC Direct Mode?  The way I've been doing it has been working, so is it kind of if it ain't broke don't fix it?  I suppose it would be one less thing to have hanging off the mount if I got rid of the HC.  If I used the EqDirect cable, could I run that through the powered USB hub like I do now?

Appreciate any input, thanks.   

I pretty much felt this exact way for quite a while, but I found that PC to HC has way more points of failure than a simple PC straight to mount cable. That is the main reason why I sprung for it, if you aren't having problems and don't mind the extra cables I don't see a reason to go for it

Clear skies.

#3 southerndandy

southerndandy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Metro West Boston

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:11 PM

Kind of what I figured.  Thanks for the reply.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics