•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dobsondream4 on an 8inch apertura

dob accessories beginner DIY
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thedarkness60

thedarkness60

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:30 PM

Hi guys newish I guess here to CN well this is my first post so here goes!!!
I have been reading up until he forums for about a month about general random things and I’m sure there’s a post with this exact question posed but I haven’t found an answer for me. Anyways I’m wondering simply if this https://www.ebay.com...s-/312729914256

Will fit even with drilling cutting I don’t really mind doing the work will it fit this
https://www.highpoin...n-telescope-ad8
The reason I’m asking is cause I purchased the dobsondream4 already it’s coming I can probably possibly cancel it and buy another but if this one will work I’ll keep it.
All response welcomed and so much appreciated thanks guys this is the best astronomy community out there thanks in advance again

Edited by thedarkness60, 03 July 2020 - 04:11 PM.

#2 acochran

acochran

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sonora, CA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:58 PM

It looks like you know that the dobsondream4 is made for Sky Watcher brand telescopes, yes? Can you fit it onto an Apertura brand telescope? I don't know. I'm not mechanically inclined. Maybe someone with more mechanical savvy will respond. If you enjoy drilling cutting, good luck! And let us know how it comes out.

PS Sky Watcher is a good brand of telescope.

Andy

#3 thedarkness60

thedarkness60

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:14 PM

Yes I’m aware it’s made for a skywatcher I don’t enjoy drilling but as it’s already purchased I really feel like I don’t much have a choice I am mechanically inclines have a good set of tools and already do a bit of cutting and drilling in my job so it’s something I’ll say I’m comfortable with doing

#4 thedarkness60

thedarkness60

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:15 PM

Didn’t know it was for one until after my purchase lol

#5 rhetfield

rhetfield

Viking 1

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:41 PM

It is just a pair of encoders and mounting hardware. You may have to work on the mounting hardware or make new mounting hardware, but eventually with enough drilling, cutting, and modification, it will work. Worse case scenario is you have to build a new dob base.

#6 thedarkness60

thedarkness60

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:58 PM

Ok thank you I just wasn’t sure how they would mount to the existing I don’t know what you would call them but what the dob uses to sit in that groove thanks again you’ve rested my anxiety a little bit

#7 hcf

hcf

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:45 PM

If you end up cancelling it, there is also this for GSO Dobs like the Apertura.

https://www.cloudyni...526-ez-push-to/

#8 thedarkness60

thedarkness60

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:55 PM

Thing is on Astro mart or maybe it’s Astro-Gadget it’s advertised like normal then in the description it says also compatible with apertura

#9 thedarkness60

thedarkness60

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:57 PM

https://astro-gadget...x-orion-skyline

Says it works with apertura but there is no other info this is why I had posted the topic as you are all extremely experienced with this sort of stuff

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, accessories, beginner, DIY

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics