•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon Tropical vs Fujinon Polaris 7x50

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 slingworks

slingworks

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Appalachian Ohio

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:16 PM

Ok,

I finally after many years purchased a NOS pair of Fujinon Polaris 7x50 FMT-SX from about 2000. (Older style body w/all black oculars).

Received them yesterday.  Very nice.  I love the long eye relief.   Pretty sharp. Had to sell a couple pairs to fund the purchase....(Just a simple guy, not minted).

I wavered back and forth between these Fujinons and the Nikon Tropical 7x50.  Never had the chance to try the Tropical. (Never actually seen a pair that wasn't mail order). but left wondering if they may have been a slightly better choice....Anyone have any direct comparison experience?  I see a few Prostar vs Fujinon comparisons here, but no Tropical vs Fujinon....

I happen to have a pair of M15 bins 7x50 from the War I purchased at a flea market for $15.  For a pair needing work,  they're surprisingly not really all that inferior to the Fujinon.  The FMT is a bit wider (7.3 vs about 7) and less distortion/CA on the edges. The Fuji clearly has more eye relief.. LOTS more.   Still, I think if the Tropicals are just a new "updated" m15 type, I may have actually preferred those.

I read albinos reviews before picking them up..I find allot of the testing they do to be very helpful and informative, but sometimes I think the ratings they use dont necessarily reflect 100% of real world uses. 

Not planning to sell the FMT's any time soon, just curious what other members thoughts are.

Edited by slingworks, 03 July 2020 - 05:18 PM.

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 04 July 2020 - 04:04 AM

I personally think that searching for the sharpest 7x50 is a moot point for 99% of people since their eye pupils wide open will be the limiting factor.

You may be the 1% of course.

#3 slingworks

slingworks

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Appalachian Ohio

Posted 04 July 2020 - 06:05 AM

Hey Mark thanks for the reply.

Not really searching for the "sharpest" 7x50's....Just the most comfortable to use overall.  I find the 7x50's to be very easy on the eyes.

I like the pair I just received, not jumping to sell/trade. Just still wondering on the Tropicals.

Edited by slingworks, 04 July 2020 - 06:19 AM.

#4 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:22 AM

Doubt you are missing anything. I had the 7x50 tropicals for many years before replacing them the latest FMT-SX 7x50, which have more eye relief and a flatter field. 

I have some astigmatism in my eyes that shows up with the 7mm exit pupils of 7x50s. For that reason, the views with FMT-SX 10x50 are a bit sharper, but I enjoy the wider and brighter field, additional eye relief, and easier hand holding of the 7x50s. 

Edited by gwlee, 08 July 2020 - 11:25 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics