•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Synscan vs SynscanPro. Differences?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rydberg

rydberg

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond, KY, USA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 05:28 PM

Just bought a SW az-gti mount.  It will arrive next Thursday.  In the meantime I am getting acquainted with the software.  I have an Android Phone (and an old iPad, so I may use both). I understand left side firmware, right side firmware with EQ capabilities etc.  I downloaded on my phone SkySafary, Synscan and Synscan PRO.  What is the differences between the latter two?  They appear identical.  Is the only difference that the Pro version allows EQ motion control while the non-pro does not? I don't plan to use eq, so I may use whichever firmware the mount comes with or simply update to the latest left side (my refractors have rings so orientation is not an issue) and whichever of the two app is "better".

Marco

#2 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:21 PM

Under "Utility" the Pro version has "Advanced" camera control , PEC, Polar Scope, etc.  I do not use those, so I do not know how useful they are.  I control my Orion GoTo Dob with the app, and just by default use Pro.  I think the basic operation of control the scope is the same, including the alignment and DSO catalog.

#3 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 04 July 2020 - 04:35 AM

The Pro just has a few extra bells and whistles. There’s really no reason to not use the Pro version.

Also, if you plan to use SkySafari to control the mount, you will need either the Plus or Pro version. The free version does not have the ability to control the mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics