•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dumb question on hooking up ASI cameras and the ASIair

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hawkman

hawkman

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saint Helena (Napa Valley), California

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:12 PM

Hopefully someone can help me with a dumb question.  I'm finally getting around to hooking up the ASI cameras I purchased (290MM guide camera and 294MC color camera) to the ASIair I'd like to use to control the whole rig.  It would seem to be so simple but nowhere can I find clear directions on where to hook up the 290MM guide camera - does it connect to the 294MM camera or directly to the ASIair?  ASI's own video says hook the guide camera up to the ASIair, then shows it hooked up to the main camera.

It's probably out there somewhere but I can't find it.

Thanks for any guidance on this.

John Hawkins

#2 scopewizard

scopewizard

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:21 PM

If you imaging camera has an USB hub build in ( normally on cool camera) and connected to 12 vdc for the cooler, you can hook the guide camera to the imaging camera otherwise connect it to one of the ASIair USB.

#3 redline96

redline96

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 July 2020 - 06:41 PM

you can do it either way.  directly to the 294 camera usb port or to the Asiair usb port.

#4 hawkman

hawkman

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saint Helena (Napa Valley), California

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:29 PM

Thanks - interesting that it works either way.

#5 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:13 AM

Hopefully someone can help me with a dumb question.  I'm finally getting around to hooking up the ASI cameras I purchased (290MM guide camera and 294MC color camera) to the ASIair I'd like to use to control the whole rig.  It would seem to be so simple but nowhere can I find clear directions on where to hook up the 290MM guide camera - does it connect to the 294MM camera or directly to the ASIair?  ASI's own video says hook the guide camera up to the ASIair, then shows it hooked up to the main camera.

It's probably out there somewhere but I can't find it.

Thanks for any guidance on this.

John Hawkins

It works fine either way so use the path that gives you the best cable routing. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics