•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for Potential Speakers for Online Astronomy Club Meetings

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 iam1ru12

iam1ru12

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Raleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:38 PM

Hello Everyone,

Like many other astronomy clubs, my local club is holding its monthly meetings online.  I’m reaching out to you all in CloudyNights community to see if their is any interest in being a guest speaker to my local club, the Raleigh Astronomy Club.  We have a little over 200 members, with 30 to 40 attending meetings regularly.  Our members range from young to old, newbies to seasoned amateurs and even a few professionals.

Our meetings are either the 2nd or 4th Friday of the month, closest to the full moon.  Meetings typically start @ 7:30pm with our speaker typically first on the agenda and given 45 to 60 minutes to talk and answer question.

Please let me know if any of you have an interest in being a guest speaker.  Additionally, I or several of my fellow members would happily reciprocate to your local club.  Free free to post here on the thread or send me a private message.

Thanks!

-Mike

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:53 PM

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry10307662

I recommend you take advantage of this. He presented to our club some years ago and it was extremely informative and quite enjoyable. It's a very interesting method of observing.

#3 iam1ru12

iam1ru12

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:07 PM

I recommend you take advantage of this. He presented to our club some years ago and it was extremely informative and quite enjoyable. It's a very interesting method of observing.

Yes, Tom spoke to us several years ago and we’ve reach out again.  I’m hoping to line up more external speakers as I feel we’ve recently pulled heavily from our membership.  Ideally, I’d like to have a 50/50 split of internal & external speakers.

-Mike

• havasman likes this

#4 Det274

Det274

Lift Off

• Loc: Vaudreuil-Dorion,Qc, Canada

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:13 PM

Tom just presented to our club this past weekend. I definitely agree,he's a great speaker, know his stuff!...time just flew by.

• havasman likes this

#5 iam1ru12

iam1ru12

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:35 PM

The goal of this thread is to hopefully develop a list of speakers that clubs could draw upon to help bring a more diverse set of programs to their members.  That was why I made the comment about reciprocating.  Is there any interest in developing such a resource?

-Mike

#6 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:36 PM

I'd be interested....

#7 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:00 PM

Augustus,

What kind of topics might you be interested in presenting?

I wrote to Mike, the thread starter and gave him a list of four or five general astronomy topics I have presented on, as well as a few astroimaging programs. 

It would be nice if this thread developed some resources for the clubs in need. 

And of course any clubs needing a speaker, feel free to send me a personal message. 

Alex

• Augustus likes this

#8 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:20 PM

Augustus,

What kind of topics might you be interested in presenting?

I wrote to Mike, the thread starter and gave him a list of four or five general astronomy topics I have presented on, as well as a few astroimaging programs. 

It would be nice if this thread developed some resources for the clubs in need. 

And of course any clubs needing a speaker, feel free to send me a personal message. 

Alex

DSO observing, various telescope making topics, choosing a telescope, optimizing your telescope, getting started with a telescope, to name a few

#9 iam1ru12

iam1ru12

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2020 - 08:54 AM

DSO observing, various telescope making topics, choosing a telescope, optimizing your telescope, getting started with a telescope, to name a few

Zane,

Sorry for not responding sooner.  Is see you were scheduled to speak at several star parties that were cancelled.  Would you be willing to speak to the Raleigh Astronomy Club (virtually of course) some time in the fall?  Our meetings are always on the 2nd or 4th Friday of the month, whichever has the worse moon conditions for observing.

If so, do you have a preference on the topic?

Thanks!

-Mike

#10 Andy01

Andy01

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:22 AM

Hi Mike,

I may be able to help. I'm in Melbourne, Australia. smile.gif

I was scheduled to present at NEAIC this year, but that's been cancelled, international borders closed etc. 

As such, I have a couple of options on presentations if you're interested, best message me directly.

Cheers

Andy

#11 Larry Mc

Larry Mc

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA.

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:10 PM

hi all,

I'd like to offer my name for consideration as a "virtual" amateur astronomy presenter.

I have given astronomy presentations at planetariums, libraries and starparty conventions. You may have attended one of my recent talks over the last few years at the Cherry Springs Star Party, Black Forest Star Party, ORAS-AstroBlast, or the Calhoun Informal Stargaze. I am also experienced with doing Zoom, Google Hangouts, and Skype meetings.

Most of my presentations are a mix of historical and observational notes, (depending on the subject), and are geared toward an audience of amateur astronomers, but I do have several shorter talks specifically for the general public such as 'Stargazing & Myths' or 'Observing the Moon'. 

I've attached a PDF list of titles and brief synopsis of my presentations. You can also find my PDF presentation notes and handouts on my website, here's the direct page link:  http://www.stellar-j...g/downloads.htm

If anyone is interested, please let me know!

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics