•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Evolution wifi, am I missing something?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bataleon

Bataleon

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:49 PM

I've followed the instruction manual and looked at every video tutorial I can find on this mount and still can't seem to get it connected to my phone via wifi. No network is showing when the mount is powered on. Anyone know what's going on? My local scope store is stumped. Defective mount or what?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:03 PM

After you turn on the mount, open the 'Network' or 'Available Wifi Networks' folder on your phone.  Touch "Celestron XX" or Celestron WiFi, and touch "Connect ".   Only AFTER doing this, open the SkySafari  or SkyPortal  App on your phone.  Go to Settings, Telescope Set Up, select Celestron WiFi/AltAz GoTo.  Back on the main page, with the Sky Map, select CONNECT, or Connect and Align.  If you're not Prompted to Connect, from the Icons on the bottom, choose SCOPE. 

BTW, EVERYTHING mentioned here is in the Owner's Manual. 

#3 Bataleon

Bataleon

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:10 PM

After you turn on the mount, open the 'Network' or 'Available Wifi Networks' folder on your phone. Touch "Celestron XX" or Celestron WiFi, and touch "Connect ". Only AFTER doing this, open the SkySafari or SkyPortal App on your phone. Go to Settings, Telescope Set Up, select Celestron WiFi/AltAz GoTo. Back on the main page, with the Sky Map, select CONNECT, or Connect and Align. If you're not Prompted to Connect, from the Icons on the bottom, choose SCOPE.

BTW, EVERYTHING mentioned here is in the Owner's Manual.

Yes, I've gone through those steps. No such network is appearing on my wifi network list. My local shop suggested checking out the little flathead switch and make sure it's in the up position. That was the most recent thing I checked and it's up. I don't understand what else could be wrong short of software problems.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#4 bluecoast

bluecoast

Sputnik

• Loc: Southern Ontario, Canada

Posted 04 July 2020 - 12:41 AM

Is it a new mount or an older one from when the Evolution was first released?

I have an Evo mount and I have some random troubleshooting suggestions you could try (but tbh Celestron support will probably be more useful than my advice -- they've been pretty helpful with me):

Can you see the mount's network with any other device (e.g. laptop)?

Is it possible the mount's network is disabled in the hand control menus somewhere?

Does the mount have the correct firmware loaded?

Is your phone maybe set to 5GHz wifi only (mount is 2.4GHz)?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics