•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone tried this zoom?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Tangerman

Tangerman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:13 PM

I saw on Orion's website a zoom eyepiece for $60, the "Orion E-Series 7-21mm Zoom Eyepiece." I don't entirely trust reviews on merchants' websites, so has anyone tried this? It seems like a very low price for a zoom eyepiece. Maybe they made something good and they just priced it low because they're enjoying the money they got from the Meade lawsuit and are looking to attract new customers?

#2 TNmike

TNmike

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kingston, TN

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:15 PM

Here ya go:

https://www.cloudyni...yepiece-thread/

• vdog likes this

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: behind you.

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:17 PM

I have the lunt, which strangely resembles the orion, I use it to watch the sun with my 60ha.
very satisfied with the product.

• MarkGregory likes this

#4 Tangerman

Tangerman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:24 PM

Thanks!

#5 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:32 PM

lol.gif

Maybe the mods should give that thread a real title.  "Orion E-Series 7-21 Zoom Eyepiece" would do nicely.

• stevew, areyoukiddingme, erin and 1 other like this

#6 TNmike

TNmike

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kingston, TN

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:55 PM

Yeah it doesn't leap out at ya  lol.gif

#7 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:43 PM

I have the lunt, which strangely resembles the orion, I use it to watch the sun with my 60ha.
very satisfied with the product.

What is the price of the Lunt vs the Orion ?  Clear skiys !

#8 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:42 AM

What is the price of the Lunt vs the Orion ?  Clear skiys !

Lunt is $149 https://luntsolarsys...-zoom-eyepiece/

Orion E Series 7-21 is $59.99 https://www.telescop...vgaApvEEALw_wcB

• LDW47 likes this

#9 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:54 AM

Lunt is $149 https://luntsolarsys...-zoom-eyepiece/

Orion E Series 7-21 is $59.99 https://www.telescop...vgaApvEEALw_wcB

So about $210 C vs $90 C, there has to be some enhanced difference between the two for the more than double the price ? Or maybe we are just paying for the name, it happens all the time, it always has, lol ?  Clear different skiys !   PS: These are the types of things that should be considered when making a choice of what to buy, many don’t !

#10 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:56 AM

The LUNT zoom has 7 elements the Orion zoom has 6.

I have the Lunt zoom and use it for solar Ha observing. It’s a fine zoom but if there’s something dramatic happening on the sun out come the Delites, which are sharper.

Bob

#11 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:59 AM

My Meade 4000 older model zoom works perfectly, the views are excellent ! I just tried them on both my newly acquired solar scopes and everything was flawless ! I am very happy but I am not a perfectionist as I once was and still am with many things that are important and necessary !  Clear happy skize !

#12 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:05 AM

I have the Lunt, which I got in part because reviews talk about it being nearly as sharp as premium eyepieces. Orion used to sell the same zoom under their label for a similar price. Maybe they still do? The cheaper E-zoom is clearly a different design, but seems to perform well based on one user. Begs the question of sample variation. The problem is people with $300 eyepieces usually don’t buy $60 zooms so it can be hard to get comparisons with premium brands.

Scott
  • LDW47 and areyoukiddingme like this

#13 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:08 AM

The LUNT zoom has 7 elements the Orion zoom has 6.

I have the Lunt zoom and use it for solar Ha observing. It’s a fine zoom but if there’s something dramatic happening on the sun out come the Delites, which are sharper.

Bob

One more element can’t be worth more than double the price unless it is made of gold, lol ! My Meade 4000 is pretty sharp as well, as mentioned in another post the use of a variable polarizer in the solar scopes really enhanced the views by toning down the glare, to my older yet still capable eyes !  Clear skiys !

#14 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:11 AM

I have the Lunt, which I got in part because reviews talk about it being nearly as sharp as premium eyepieces. Orion used to sell the same zoom under their label for a similar price. Maybe they still do? The cheaper E-zoom is clearly a different design, but seems to perform well based on one user. Begs the question of sample variation. The problem is people with $300 eyepieces usually don’t buy $60 zooms so it can be hard to get comparisons with premium brands.

Scott

Many I am sure don’t know what they are missing, they read too many sometimes biased reviews !  Maybe ? Clear unbiased skize !

#15 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:18 AM

Scott

Thats what the big brand names rely on most times, that those buying their high priced whatever won’t know any different because they won’t have the much lower priced but very capable products to compare theirs with but many times that rational fails and the word gets out, lol !  Clear lower priced skize !

• CeleNoptic likes this

#16 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:56 AM

Scott

Yeah.  I have DeLite's and an Ethos and the only reason I bought this zoom was that I have never tried a zoom and this one has enough eye relief for my glasses.  I figured it was a low cost way to test what a zoom is like.  I was not expecting this zoom to perform as well as it has. It is sharp to the edge in my 4" f/7 APOs. But I think the thing that has stuck out the most for me is the lack of scattered light or glare on the Moon and Planets.

I hope some more user reports will come out.  I plan to order a second sample to see if I just got lucky with the sample I have. 

• 25585 likes this

#17 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:24 AM

Many I am sure don’t know what they are missing, they read too many sometimes biased reviews !  Maybe ? Clear unbiased skize !

I have done a lot of comparisons between premium eyepieces and low cost eyepieces.   For widefield eyepieces the premium brands almost always have better edge performance.  However, in general the area where the premium brands typically have an edge regardless of AFOV is how clean the sky background is and control over scattered light, ghosting, and glare.   Generally the central field sharpness is hard to distinguish.

So if the manufacturer of a low cost eyepiece controls scattered, ghosting, and glare well then there might be negligible obvious difference between the premium eyepiece and the low cost eyepiece.  But low cost eyepieces typically fail in this regard.  So that was what shocked me about this Orion zoom.  Sharp to the edge performance - somewhat rare in low cost eyepieces but there are examples.  Sharp to the edge and great control of light - never seen it before in a low cost eyepiece. 

• LDW47 likes this

#18 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:01 PM

Scott

People with $300 eyepieces DO buy $60 zooms, people with $900 eyepieces buy $60 zooms...it's not how much it costs, it's how it performs.  Even though I have premium eyepieces, my most used ones are a set of old orthos I picked up for cheap.

#19 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:04 PM

I have done a lot of comparisons between premium eyepieces and low cost eyepieces.   For widefield eyepieces the premium brands almost always have better edge performance.  However, in general the area where the premium brands typically have an edge regardless of AFOV is how clean the sky background is and control over scattered light, ghosting, and glare.   Generally the central field sharpness is hard to distinguish.

So if the manufacturer of a low cost eyepiece controls scattered, ghosting, and glare well then there might be negligible obvious difference between the premium eyepiece and the low cost eyepiece.  But low cost eyepieces typically fail in this regard.  So that was what shocked me about this Orion zoom.  Sharp to the edge performance - somewhat rare in low cost eyepieces but there are examples.  Sharp to the edge and great control of light - never seen it before in a low cost eyepiece. 

I was just looking at an Orion model zoom, is yours the model that appears to be shorter than the Meade, Celestron etc. models, I couldn’t find its dimensions to compare them but in the pic it sure looks shorter ? If it is shorter for $250 C I may get one but lately some are upping the ship. costs maybe to gain back some profit or ........ ? I will look into it a bit more !  Clear Skies !

#20 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:08 PM

People with $300 eyepieces DO buy $60 zooms, people with $900 eyepieces buy $60 zooms...it's not how much it costs, it's how it performs.  Even though I have premium eyepieces, my most used ones are a set of old orthos I picked up for cheap.

We are talking about the chance to compare the high and the low models, read the posters post that I answered in a general sort of way, for some cost is a big factor going both ways but not I !  Clear skize !

#21 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:14 PM

I was just looking at an Orion model zoom, is yours the model that appears to be shorter than the Meade, Celestron etc. models, I couldn’t find its dimensions to compare them but in the pic it sure looks shorter ? If it is shorter for $250 C I may get one but lately some are upping the ship. costs maybe to gain back some profit or ........ ? I will look into it a bit more !  Clear Skies !

This is the one I am using:

https://www.telescop...1col2-prodtitle

#22 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:11 PM

One more element can’t be worth more than double the price unless it is made of gold, lol ! 

I’m just pointing out that one has more elements than the other. I didn’t say that was the “only reason” for the cost difference. Coatings, polish, a more complicated/robust and compact housing, etc. are some other differences that “might” also contribute to the price difference.

Bob

• LDW47 likes this

#23 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:08 PM

This is the one I am using:

https://www.telescop...1col2-prodtitle

This is the one I am talking, I don’t think it is the same as your pic ? This one appears to have a twist up eyecup ? I viewed it on amazon for about $250 C ! I checked again and the one you posted is about $95 C !

7A7691A9-BFDC-4AD6-BA7E-736AA32CE3D4.jpeg

Edited by LDW47, 07 July 2020 - 03:13 PM.

#24 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:14 PM

I’m just pointing out that one has more elements than the other. I didn’t say that was the “only reason” for the cost difference. Coatings, polish, a more complicated/robust and compact housing, etc. are some other differences that “might” also contribute to the price difference.

Bob

I know what you are saying, know anything about the Orion model I just posted ?

#25 LDW47

LDW47

Skylab

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

Does the Orion that I just posted not look a lot more shorter in height, more compact than various other models ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics