•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Wizard in H-alpha

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bokchoy Ninja

Bokchoy Ninja

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:36 PM

Hello all,

Wanted to share my most recent acquisition. It is the second target I've shot with my new ASI1600MM and 6nm H-alpha filter after upgrading from a DSLR.

Collected 6 hours of H-alpha data for this target last night under a full moon from my local dark site. Stacked in DSS and minimally processed in Photoshop (levels, curves, star reduction, noise reduction).

Planning to collect SII and OIII as soon as the opportunity presents itself and make something more colorful.

Critiques welcome!

gallery_308768_13510_4802822.jpg

Edited by Bokchoy Ninja, 03 July 2020 - 09:43 PM.

• scottinash, John Gauvreau, mikewayne3 and 11 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: behind you.

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:41 PM

very very successful, I love the black and white photos, I find that the detail is more present.
I don't know this region.
well done and thank you.

• Bokchoy Ninja likes this

#3 Bokchoy Ninja

Bokchoy Ninja

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:42 PM

very very successful, I love the black and white photos, I find that the detail is more present.
I don't know this region.
well done and thank you.

Thank you for the feedback. I too love the contast-y, spooky vibe of the black-and-white renditions. False color processing is a bag of worms that I'm not looking forward to opening, to be honest.

• SeymoreStars, SonnyE, Der_Pit and 1 other like this

#4 scottinash

scottinash

Vostok 1

• Loc: Tennessee, USA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:50 PM

Oh wow!  Thanks for sharing this!!!

#5 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:28 AM

Black and White is a very classic form of photography.

No distractions, no weird flavorings by Post Processing wizards trying to put pizzazz in an image.

Just clear clean joy to get into.

Besides, what do you see when you look up at night with your naked eye (Glasses OK if needed)?

You don't see a bag of Skittles. You see white stars on a fairly black background.

Classic.

Look up with some binoculars. Bigger stars and clusters. Still classic B&W.

And right now, the wiz is easy to grab in the N/E sky (even with the obnoxious Moon).

If you don't already, you might enjoy all the attributes of Stellarium and it's ability to run your mount.

It's a Planetarium Program with telescope control.

Well done little Cabbage! waytogo.gif

#6 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:32 AM

... False color processing is a bag of worms that I'm not looking forward to opening, to be honest.

Takes me all of about 10 minutes in pixInsight. Learning pixInsight, well that's another story.

#7 Ryou

Ryou

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:10 AM

Lovely image, and honestly I think I may like it better than some of the other examples I've seen of this in SHO and HOO. In fact I feel like this is one of the targets where SHO doesn't really do too much for it so don't blame you wanting to skip/"worry" about the other channels. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics