•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What was consensus on the EQ8-R Pro?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 collaredkeeper

collaredkeeper

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Redlands, CA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:43 PM

It seems like this mount came and gone pretty fast, not much still being talked about them. They came out late last year with some pretty neat specs and options and it was a serious contender in my mount choices until I got a bit lucky and scored on a used AP mount. With a 110lb payload, same as the AP1100 at nearly 1/2 the cost, was it too good to be true?

I'd definitely be interested in hearing from anyone who has had the mount for awhile and if it ended up having any electronic or other issues, or if it just has worked great from the start. Was just really curious how this mount has held up as I did like some of the features it has added (i.e. belt drives, cable management, integrated ports, etc). It'd also be good for anyone thinking of purchasing the mount to hear first hand knowledge from owners who have experience using the mount over time. 

Clear Skies!

#2 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:56 PM

Is it discontinued?  I see it still for sale at a few vendors sites.

#3 collaredkeeper

collaredkeeper

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Redlands, CA

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:09 PM

It's not discontinued, but talk has definitely gone away. I thought it would have been a popular mount!

#4 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:07 AM

It's not discontinued, but talk has definitely gone away. I thought it would have been a popular mount!

I wouldn't have expected it to be any more popular than the original. Which wasn't very popular. Why?

It's a big and heavy mount that most won't want to use in even semi-portable fashion. And the majority of us do not have permanent observatories. And the 5,000 dollar price tag is also a problem for the mount. Most folks don't mind paying 1500 for a Synta, but five grand? Uh-uh. There begin to be better options at that level. ;)

• EFT likes this

#5 leviathan

leviathan

Viking 1

• Loc: Azerbaijan

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:38 AM

Well, it's not a completely new mount, just a rebranded original EQ8 with some minor tweaks. Also at this payload it's not a mount for everyone. I've used original EQ8 with C14 EdgeHD on it and enjoyed it.

#6 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:04 PM

You don't want to have to tune it up.  I have never worked on a mass-produced mount that is more difficult to disassemble.  I have also never understood the design with the DEC axis encoder and worm wheel housing being open and facing upward so that dust and water can get right in.  I've replaced a couple of encoder wheels (the big silver one) and a one worm wheel when they ended up being ruined by sitting in water.  To avoid that they needed to have placed a draining hole at the low point of the housing.  But I did hear that they made some improvement to the clutch design, which it needed and added some communication wiring through the mount to the saddle which is nice but it undoubtedly complicates the interior of the mount even more.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics