•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Ohio "$10" Edmund 4" f/15 from Facebook

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 ryanr256

ryanr256

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Ohio

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:48 PM

Sometimes you just have to laugh.

I was puttering around the garage this evening, putting things away and doing some general housekeeping. On a shelf I see a can of Turtle Wax paste wax. I'm looking at the plastic cover that holds the applicator and I think, "Hmmmmm, just maybe." Here's the can without the plastic lid (you'll see why in a moment):

20200714_183402_small.jpg

And here's why the lid is missing:

20200714_183120_small.jpg

It's a perfect fit!

20200714_183128_small.jpg

shocked.gif lol.gif lol.gif

-Bob

• Bomber Bob, oldmanastro, jragsdale and 1 other like this

#77 ryanr256

ryanr256

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:27 PM

My first, true, first light for this telescope. I had taken it out on a few occasions before but the heat and humidity were so high they weren't a fair test of anything.

Tonight, 7/28/2020, was a little different. It was hot but the humidity wasn't as high as earlier in the month. I viewed the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn.

Here's a crappy, hand-held, cell phone through the eyepiece pic:

20200728_221656_small.jpg

On the sections that are in focus, you can see why this telescope is highly regarded. The view is through a Paradigm 15mm. I was able to use the 8mm with the scope but there's no way I could hold the phone steady enough to take a pic.

Some observations (no pun intended):

The 'scope is severely undermounted. It shakes with the slightest touch, making focusing difficult. I also need to come with a way to make the RA "clutch" better. I've tried the suggestions of an oiled piece of leather several times, but each resulted in the leather disintegrating. Currently I have a piece of plastic rod preventing the metal to metal contact on the shaft but there's absolutely no clutch action present even when tightening the knob. The plastic is just too hard.

While the RKE eyepieces I have, 28mm, 15mm, 8mm, give good views, the Baader Mk. III zoom and Paradigms are noticeably better. However, the zoom is too heavy for the focuser. It works but the focusing action becomes notchy and not smooth at all. The Paradigms work very, very well.I tried the 5mm, 8mm, 12mm, 15mm and 18mm. I think the 5mm and 8mm were too much magnification for the seeing though. The Moon looked best in the 12mm, and 15mm.

In summary, this example definitely lives up to the Edmund 4 inch f/15 reputation. I'm glad I made the effort to get it.

-Bob

Edited by ryanr256, 28 July 2020 - 11:02 PM.

• PawPaw, Bomber Bob, oldmanastro and 3 others like this

#78 ryanr256

ryanr256

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:11 PM

William Optics 102mm rings fit perfectly. Combined with a SVBONY dovetail, they allow me to use the OTA on my Explore Scientific G11 PMC-Eight:

20200807_184456_small.jpg

I didn't connect the electronics as this was only a test fitting to make sure everything fit. I'll probably have to get an extension for the mount. The eyepiece is pretty low. And I will definitely get a handle for the top of the rings to make carrying the OTA easier.

-Bob

Edited by ryanr256, 07 August 2020 - 07:12 PM.

• Terra Nova, PawPaw, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#79 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:23 PM

Looks like you’re gonna need a taller pier. When I had my 4” Edmund F15 I had it on a tall steel surveyors tripod. That helped alot in getting the eyepiece to a comfortable height.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3433E34A-D684-46BE-9066-6976F1644DDE.jpeg

• Marc-Andre, Bomber Bob and Astrolite like this

#80 ryanr256

ryanr256

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:08 PM

Looks like you’re gonna need a taller pier. When I had my 4” Edmund F15 I had it on a tall steel surveyors tripod. That helped alot in getting the eyepiece to a comfortable height.

Yes, I'm trying to decide between the Losmandy 8 or 12 inch extension. I originally had the 8 in mind, but after thinking about it, the 12 may be better.

-Bob

• beanerds and Terra Nova like this

#81 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:25 AM

It looks great on the mount and you will really enjoy it once you get it up to a more comfortable height. Mine was the older white model (1964) painted red, and I watched some wonderful Jupiter transits thru it’s tack-sharp optics. It was the best 4” achromat I ever had.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#82 ryanr256

ryanr256

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:35 PM

It looks great on the mount and you will really enjoy it once you get it up to a more comfortable height. Mine was the older white model (1964) painted red, and I watched some wonderful Jupiter transits thru it’s tack-sharp optics. It was the best 4” achromat I ever had.

I've not had much opportunity to spend a lot of time with it. I work 2 jobs and the weather hasn't been the best. Here's a bit of a story:

Years ago, I put together a 4 inch f/15 achromat using a Jaegers objective I got from Surplus Shed rather cheap. It wasn't one of the "seconds", it was perfect. I assembled the components and was blown away with the view. It was truly amazing.

Shortly after building it, we moved to a smaller house with less storage space. I disassembled the scope and sold the components because I did not have the space for a 5 foot (plus) long tube. I was really bummed to have to do that but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Fast foward to this year and the Edmund. When the ad was posted here, I immediately messaged the seller. I then told my wife we would be taking a road trip to Canton.

I will make space for this one. The difference being mine was a home built job with a known name objective. A nice scope, but still a home build. The Edmund is a known name scope by a respected maker/optician (Rank). It's worth preserving.

My fear during the buying process was that someone would swoop in before I could pick it up. I knew, based on condition, it could be underpriced but it was hard to determine condition based off of the photos in the ad. It was always my intent to pay what the scope was worth once I had a chance to examine it in person.

When I got there the seller told me I was the only person to contact her about it. She said they had it in a yard sale and advertised in various places but no one wanted it. She said she was glad I contacted her because she knew her step-father loved it and she didn't know what she would do with it if no one bought it.

Sure, it was dirty and somewhat neglected but there was no fatal damage to any of the components. All it needed was a good cleaning. The icing on the cake was when they came out with the barlow, 15mm RKE and 28mm RKE. So, I gave her all the money I brought.  smile.gif

I definitely don't have space to store, or display, it assembled. The rings and dovetail make it more convenient for me to use the scope. I can just plop it on the pier and go. Much easier than managing those long legs and tube.

Still haven't decided on the 8 or 12. I will set it up again today and do some measuring.

-Bob

Edited by ryanr256, 08 August 2020 - 01:13 PM.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and jcruse64 like this

#83 rogue river art

rogue river art

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Grants Pass,Oregon

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:43 PM

This one is a 4" f 12 Edmunds from 1979. Home built and steady as a rock due to a very heavy mount and tripod.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200415_165540834.jpg

• ryanr256, SandyHouTex, Marc-Andre and 6 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics