•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon 700D vs ASI 224MC on 9.25" SCT - test four

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:41 PM

Hi all, when I first got my ASI224MC I ran a series of tests (test 1, test 2, test 3) comparing the 224MC with my Canon 700D on a Celestron Evolution with a 6" SCT. Since running these tests I've purchased a C9.25" SCT and had plans to go back and run another test. Last week I got that chance.

The main aim of that imaging session was to get high quality images of the planets, and the weather was very good so I didn't feel like wasting the opportunity on the DSLR. However, at the end of the session with Jupiter crossed over the meridian and the GRS almost gone, I took out the DSLR and had a go. Unfortunately the planets were so high I had to use my cheap diagonal with the DSLR so it wouldn't hit the mount, which almost certainly reduced both the image quality (due to the inferior optics of the mirror) and reduced the PowerMate magnification (due to the extra optical path length caused by the diagonal). I also haven't processed a lot of DSLR images recently, so the sharpening may not be optimal either. So in that sense, the test wasn't really fair on the DSLR, but such is life.

The images of Jupiter and Saturn are below. Those from the dedicated planetary camera are significantly better than the DSLR ones, displaying much higher resolution (especially in the clouds of Jupiter). The DSLR images are certainly not bad, just not as good as for the ASI224MC. The images of Saturn are closer (probably due to the lack of small scale structure), but it is still a win to the ASI224MC.

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter ASI224MC vs Canon 700D.png
  • Saturn ASI224 vs Canon 700D with text.png

• Isaac, Az Frank, Prima Luna and 13 others like this

#2 dhammy

dhammy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Puerto Rico

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:38 AM

It’s actually impressive to see what the 700D can do, especially for someone that is saving up for a dedicated camera and maybe has a DSLR already.

#3 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 04 July 2020 - 06:15 PM

Your DSLR images blow the carp out of my C11+224MC images.

Nice!!

#4 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:24 PM

It’s actually impressive to see what the 700D can do, especially for someone that is saving up for a dedicated camera and maybe has a DSLR already.

Yes, the Canon DSLR system is really well suited to this kind of imaging. I would have liked to have removed the diagonal for these shots, but my Evolution mount wouldn't allow it as the planets were so high and the camera is so large. I calculated that the ASI224MC was sampling at 5.7x pixel size while the 700D was at around 5.1x pixel size.

Your DSLR images blow the carp out of my C11+224MC images.

Nice!!

Thanks Kevin, it certainly helps when the planets are above 70* in elevation - I realise you are struggling at the moment to have them above 20*, but you will get your chance soon enough. 

Andrew

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics