•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any recommendations for dark sky sites in CNY?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rob_G

Rob_G

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Syracuse, NY

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:45 AM

Let me preface this by saying that I need more than just dark skies due to health issues.  I am deaf.  That obviously doesn't stop me from looking up.  But recommendations that I should join an astronomy club are of little use.  Under dark skies, I can't read lips unless I shine a flashlight in someone's face.  To make matters worse, in the dark I have poor balance, which makes walking difficult.  Being with a group of fellow astronomers in the dark just doesn't work for me.  

I live near Syracuse NY, with Bortle Class 5 skies.  I can easily get to Class 4 and Class 3.  But I don't know where I'd set up?  My own yard makes things difficult because of trees in the backyard and street lights in the front yard.  I have access to a camp with Class 3 skies, but a lot of the sky is blocked because of trees.  

Does anyone know of some good places in the CNY area.  I'm looking for dark skies, but I'm also looking for a place where I would not have to walk far in the dark.  Thanks for any recommendations.  

#2 Jim R

Jim R

Vostok 1

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:43 AM

How about a park near Lake Ontario?

#3 ScottW

ScottW

Messenger

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:27 AM

Rob,

Selkirk State Park has a paved loop for camping along the lake.  One can look westward down the length of the lake. Less than an hour drive for you. East view somewhat blocked by trees, maybe the first 45 to 50 degrees up.  There is another area for RVs but I don't remember anything other than that.  Might be worth a try.

Scott

#4 spereira

spereira

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:36 AM

Moving to General Observing.

smp

#5 jdk

jdk

Messenger

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:10 AM

I remember when I was a kid, the first place I saw the milky way with my naked eyes was at the KOA in Herkimer. Had no idea what I was seeing lol.gif  It's probably been built up a bit since then (it's been about 20 years) but the light pollution map still shows a pretty nice dark area just north of there. Wish I had more info for you.

#6 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 06 July 2020 - 08:39 AM

Contact the "CNY Observers" -- an Astronomy Club in the Syracuse area. I believe that they have an observatory. I've never been there but some friends report it as nice. They also have an "observing" section on their website that discusses some nice park setting in Central NY.

Link to their website: http://www.cnyo.org/

• Rob_G likes this

#7 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

Rob . I'm close by in Otisco .you may want to contact SAS  group ..my observatory is 2 miles from the SAS site . Fairly dark and above the city . As a few have mentioned ,I will suggest  along lake Ontario going north to Alex Bay . Then east from Watertown NY and north towards old Forge NY . For NY you can't get much darker then that without traveling .

Text me off list for other suggestions ...

Stevegeo....area 3751 observatory, otisco lake my ..

• George N likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics