•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using Grandpas LX200 Classic

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rebootej

Rebootej

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:28 AM

I recently inherited my grandfathers 10" Meade LX200 Classic.

This telescope was how he spent his retirement in Utah. Unfortunately I was a little too young to understand when he had it up and running. My grandmother just gave it too me and I've been trying to figure it all out. It came with a-lot of accessories, I'm still trying to figure out what some of it is. I've been using the telescope regularly for about a month now.

I've also started following in his footsteps and imaging with my DSLR. Currently trying to hook up the telescope to a computer. I bought cables from ScopeStuff out of Texas and tried to hook it up to my computer using Stellarium but could not get the scope and computer to talk at all. Tried downloading ascom drivers. Still no luck. Any advice? I would really appreciate it!

#2 JohnBear

JohnBear

Viking 1

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:15 AM

Rebootej - I also recently and unexpectedly got (bought) a 10" LX200 Classic that I am working on. I am just getting ready to learn and try out Stellarium on my ETX 90 before hooking it up to the LX200. 

If you live in/near the SLC in Utah, PM me and maybe we can exchange some information. 

Edited by JohnBear, 04 July 2020 - 11:15 AM.

#3 Rebootej

Rebootej

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:46 AM

Unfortunately, I'm in Northern California, but I'm interested to hear what you discover!

#4 Jeff J

Jeff J

Mariner 2

• Loc: Austin, Tx

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:33 PM

I have an LX200 10" (new in 2006). The manual is pretty decent. Also there are lots of good historical threads in this subforum. I never used the ascom drivers, but I did updates through USB-serial, and that required the computer to be configured to use a com port. 

For imaging-specific questions, you might consider posting in one of the astrophotography subforums. 

#5 Rebootej

Rebootej

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:48 PM

I have an LX200 10" (new in 2006). The manual is pretty decent. Also there are lots of good historical threads in this subforum. I never used the ascom drivers, but I did updates through USB-serial, and that required the computer to be configured to use a com port. 

For imaging-specific questions, you might consider posting in one of the astrophotography subforums. 

Thanks Jeff I'm doing okay with the imagining so far. My current issue the computer connection. I'll check the comp port configuration. I have the manual for my scope but it was new in 93 so the computer portion is very small. 

#6 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:00 AM

I have the newer version of LX200 and while I have never used Stellarium, I do use it with PHD2 for guiding. The most common problem is the USB to RS232 adapter. I use one that has the FTDI chipset.

#7 Rebootej

Rebootej

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 11:22 AM

I have the newer version of LX200 and while I have never used Stellarium, I do use it with PHD2 for guiding. The most common problem is the USB to RS232 adapter. I use one that has the FTDI chipset.

Thats what i read on here and why I bought it from scopestuff instead of amazon or bestbuy. He did say i could call them if I had any problem with the cable so ill do that tomorrow if they are open.

#8 Jeff J

Jeff J

Mariner 2

• Loc: Austin, Tx

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:23 PM

Sounds good. And you probably have the right cable. Let us know if you got it working.

I recently changed laptops and had to download a new USB driver for the (USB to Serial) cable that I am using on the LX200 GPS for handset updates. First I downloaded the wrong driver, and it didn't work. Then I got it working properly with the correct driver. Just saying that it is important to have the right driver. And within the software, I also had to select the correct COM interface.

• Rebootej likes this

#9 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Ranger 4

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Astro-Hell

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:35 AM

I have to give my usual advice to anyone who mentions they are using a Meade LX200 Classic. Be sure you change out the tantalum capacitors - especially the one in the hand controller and the one on the power panel - especially if you have the model scope that runs on 18V. They are ticking time-bombs and WILL self destruct at some point and can take out other components.  If it's the 18V model and you are using the original Meade 110-18V power supply, get a regulated power supply. If you have the older 12V model it isn't as likely, but it is a good idea to change them anyway as it's cheap insurance against future damage. There's no symptoms of a failing capacitor. One day you'll turn the scope on and they'll blow without warning. 

You can do a search on replacing lx200 capacitors to find information. 

Re: Your communication issue is, yes this is not terribly uncommon. I struggled with the same issue years ago and in my case it was the USB adapter. I'd think the Scopestuff one would be the right one. It's been a long time but I recall having to try different port #s until I found one that worked. I had to try a bunch of times then suddenly, it worked and I'm not sure what was wrong.

Currently I use a AUTOBtLX200 blue tooth adapter from Astro-Gadget. 

https://astro-gadget...ers/autobtlx200

#10 Daveatvt01

Daveatvt01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Az

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:01 PM

Did you get it to work?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics