•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tucson Report - Neowise, July 4th

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ToxMan

ToxMan

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:56 AM

Neowise was observed in Prescott, Arizona. So, when I was unable to sleep around 3am, I checked the chart of the comet's path. Bighorn Fire had died down quite a bit, and there was little smoke to obscure the eastern horizon. The moon rise the evening before was clear. The predawn sky was beautiful. Capella and Venus were visible. Aldebaran was hanging below Venus, Pleiades far above. Mars was almost culminating. Setting Moon was leading Jupiter and Saturn. No wind. About 78 degrees.

There was no planning here. I thought I would try to image the comet in a few days. Grabbed my 10 x 25 binoculars. Hiked up a ladder. And caught my first glimpse about 4:15, 4:20 am. The window of opportunity is very narrow. I spent about 10 minutes observing, making mental notes. Watched the Moon set. Before too long, the brightness washed out most everything. Crepuscular rays surrounded Venus reminding me of our state flag. 

Went in made coffee, and sketched out what I could remember on my phone app. My horizon consists of a building behind our property, and trees that grace their landscape and far away Agua Caliente Peak. This could be a very interesting display in the coming days.

Neowise Sketch.jpg

• Special Ed, frank5817, Mel Bartels and 21 others like this

#2 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 04 July 2020 - 11:03 AM

ToxMan,

Nice sketch of Tucson Report - Neowise, (On July 4th) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

Happy FireCracker Day !!!!!

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 04 July 2020 - 01:30 PM

ToxMan,

Very good.

Frank :)

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 04 July 2020 - 03:26 PM

Charming!  I like it.  waytogo.gif 

#5 ToxMan

ToxMan

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:03 AM

Thank you for the "Likes" and comments.

I tried to find Lemmon after sunset, but the horizon was too bright, too much smoke from fireworks. July 4th celebrations dwindled overnight. Except for the intrusion of some fool's celebratory gunfire barrage at 3:23 am. Having been rudely awoken, but otherwise safe, I decided to take another look at the comet.

Our skies were no less beautiful and clear, this morning. From the same perch, the trees on the left in my sketch were obscuring the view of Neowise. Quick move of the ladder gave a very clear view above those trees. The comet was not naked eye visible, but I have cataracts. Through the binoculars, the comet's nucleus appeared intact, and the tail much more visible...not so much larger or brighter, but more visible. I am hoping this displays keeps going and gets better.

Thanks, again.

#6 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:23 PM

Love it :)

#7 ToxMan

ToxMan

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:20 AM

This morning, July 8th, view was a treat, and comet was naked eye visible. Whoo Hoo!

#8 ToxMan

ToxMan

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:42 AM

This is a link to Astrobin image:

https://www.astrobin...fsbgis/?nc=user

Thanks for "likes" and checking out the report. Our monsoon is developing, and clouds might...Nah, don't jinx myself.
  • Special Ed likes this

#9 ToxMan

ToxMan

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:51 PM

Well, our monsoon jinxed me...no observations since July 9th. So, it's time for a road trip. 

Friday, July 17th, heading out to a place far enough west to avoid the monsoon clouds over Tucson and southeast Arizona, and light dome of the Phoenix metro area, north of us. But it will be hot. Daytime high of 110F. Fortunately, it is remote, dark at night area, with clear flat horizon, dotted with little hills and saguaros, just west of Gila Bend. It's called Painted Rock Petroglyph Site and Campground run by BLM. Hope I have some observations to share. I figure it's worth a 2.5 hour drive out.

If the comet chasing is a bust, I can probably catch a distant lightning display as I head back to Tucson. Thank goodness for all the great posts. Everyone's enjoying this treat!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics