•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Two Recent Mars Observations

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 04 July 2020 - 04:07 PM

Hi,

I took advantage of decent morning seeing Thursday and Friday to make these two observational sketches.  The edge of the South Polar Cap (SPC) is very irregular and a dusky rift can be seen in the cap.  I've found the rift is best seen during late twilight or even after sunrise when the contrast effect is lessened.  A morning limb arc was present in both observations.  The dominant feature on the central meridian in both sketches is the classic albedo feature Mare Cimmerium.

2020-07-02-0930-MR-CM196.jpg

2020-07-03-1010-MR-196.jpg

• Illinois, David Gray, AllanDystrup and 5 others like this

#2 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 04 July 2020 - 04:25 PM

Interesting. I saw Mars with my Evostar 80ED at 200x (3mm DeLite) in June and I could definitely see a yellow orange feature in the southern polar cap. This wasn't there a couple of days previously. I wondered if it was dusty clouds.

#3 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 July 2020 - 04:45 PM

Michael,

Very good sketches of Mars. I see you had 2 days in a row! I'm glad you're getting these observations. It's interesting that the rift on the SPC is best seen as the sky lightens.

Have you compared the Magenta filter to a Moon Sky-Glow? I don't have a magenta filter. I like the MSG as well as #21 orange,#80 blue. I've looked into the magenta finding it's only available in 1.25". I was hoping to get a 2" magenta but have not found any.

Dean

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:44 PM

@ Shorty--it's very possible you saw dust over the cap.  Now the cap is receding and rifts are showing because it's spring there.

@ Dean--thanks!  I have heard good things about how the MSG filter improves contrast although I don't own one myself.  All the old veteran Mars observers like to use a magenta filter (as well as red, orange, blue, and green filters) to enhance various features on the surface and in the atmosphere.  I have the Vernon W30 filter which only screws into Vernon ep's so I had to purchase an adapter in order to use it.

The SPC is so brilliant that I think the loss of contrast and decrease in irradiation that happens as the sky brightens assists in seeing the SPC rifts.

#5 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:05 PM

@ Shorty--it's very possible you saw dust over the cap.  Now the cap is receding and rifts are showing because it's spring there.

Let's hope the dust doesn't turn into a storm lol!

#6 SStoffer

SStoffer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Posted 05 July 2020 - 04:03 AM

Just finished looking at Mars at 132X in my 4 inch refractor. I knew I was looking at a polar cap! This post confirms it. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics