•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone here use a Pixel TW-283 wireless intervalometer with Olympus?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vidrazor

vidrazor

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2020 - 04:53 PM

Hi folks, I recently got a Pixel TW-283 wireless intervalometer to use with my Olympus E-M10 Mk II body, and when I plug the unit into the camera, the camera hangs and keeps cycling through the USB options asking if I want to use USB to print or be seen by a computer as a drive. This keeps me from being able to trigger the camera, the intervalometer sends a signal, the camera see it and momentarily appears as though it's shooting, but it just hangs and keeps cycling back to the USB options window. At first I thought the receiver was doing it, but I found out it's the actual cable that's doing it. I plugged in just the cable from my Vivitar wired intervalometer into the camera, and it works normally. Unfortunately I can't swap the cables, as one has a 2.5mm plug, and the other has a 3.5mm plug.

Needless to say, this has me baffled as to why a CABLE would hang the camera. I was hoping to avoid needing to have yet another cable hanging off the rig, but for the time being it will have to be. Unfortunately there's no INDI drivers for the Olympus that I can use with the Astroberry-based compact astro rig I'm putting together, so I have to use my wired intervalometer with the Olympus.

So if anyone has any experience with the Pixel unit and the E-M10 Mk II and has gotten it to work, please let  me know how you're set up. Thanks.

#2 robbieg147

robbieg147

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:04 PM

Hi I use the Pixel 283 wireless remote with my 6d though only for normal photography not for Astro and it works well.

I can only think there is a problem with the cable? you can buy cables for the Pixel for different cameras on Amazon.

There is a intervalometer built into the E-M10, is it worth trying this? 

#3 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:32 PM

There is an intervalometer built into the E-M10, is it worth trying this? 

I use the "Time Lapse" settings on my OM-D E-M1 for AP, with great success. The E-M10 Mk II has the same capability: see pg 87 in the User Manual. No need for an external intervalometer whatsoever.

#4 vidrazor

vidrazor

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:48 AM

Hi I use the Pixel 283 wireless remote with my 6d though only for normal photography not for Astro and it works well.

I can only think there is a problem with the cable? you can buy cables for the Pixel for different cameras on Amazon.

There is a intervalometer built into the E-M10, is it worth trying this? 

I use the "Time Lapse" settings on my OM-D E-M1 for AP, with great success. The E-M10 Mk II has the same capability: see pg 87 in the User Manual. No need for an external intervalometer whatsoever.

Thanks for your replies. Yes there's an intervalometer in the Olympus, but it's only good up to 60 second exposures, but the purpose of autoguiding is to have exposures longer than 60 seconds. Hence why I bought an intervalometer.

#5 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for your replies. Yes there's an intervalometer in the Olympus, but it's only good up to 60 second exposures, but the purpose of autoguiding is to have exposures longer than 60 seconds. Hence why I bought an intervalometer.

Ah. I see.

I don't take unguided exposures that are longer than 60 seconds, so the E-M1's internal  intervalometer works perfectly for those situations. If I'm using auto-guiding, the E-M1's shutter gets set to Bulb, and the Lacerta M-GEN II autonomous auto-guider completely controls the camera's exposures, as well as my CEM25P.

Edited by B 26354, 05 July 2020 - 09:51 AM.

#6 vidrazor

vidrazor

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:07 PM

Ah. I see.

I don't take unguided exposures that are longer than 60 seconds, so the E-M1's internal  intervalometer works perfectly for those situations. If I'm using auto-guiding, the E-M1's shutter gets set to Bulb, and the Lacerta M-GEN II autonomous auto-guider completely controls the camera's exposures, as well as my CEM25P.

Well, I'm trying to set up an Astroberry-controlled autoguiding system, but there are no INDI drivers I can use for the E-M10 Mk II, hence why I'm trying to use a hardware intervalometer

So the M-GEN II has no problems controlling the E-M1? I thought it ran off a Raspberry Pi, which means it's using INDI drivers. I suppose there's an INDI driver for the E-M1, but not the E-M10 Mk II. What gen E-M1 do you have?

#7 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:15 PM

So the M-GEN II has no problems controlling the E-M1? I thought it ran off a Raspberry Pi, which means it's using INDI drivers. I suppose there's an INDI driver for the E-M1, but not the E-M10 Mk II. What gen E-M1 do you have?

Sorry to take so long to answer. Got hit hard with NEOWISE fever.   lol.gif

I have two 1st generation E-M1 bodies. I love what these E-M1s will do... and since I do a good amount of terrestrial photography as well as AP, I found that it was becoming a major pain to keep switching the programming back-and-forth with the one I originally had... so I got another one (used, but absolutely mint, with only 400 exposures on the shutter-count), which is now my AP-only body.

FYI... with the E-M1 set to Bulb, the M-GEN II can be programmed to take single exposures from 0.1-second to as long as 99-minutes and 59.9-seconds. No problems controlling the E-M1 whatsoever.  waytogo.gif

#8 vidrazor

vidrazor

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:06 PM

I have two 1st generation E-M1 bodies. I love what these E-M1s will do... and since I do a good amount of terrestrial photography as well as AP, I found that it was becoming a major pain to keep switching the programming back-and-forth with the one I originally had... so I got another one (used, but absolutely mint, with only 400 exposures on the shutter-count), which is now my AP-only body.

FYI... with the E-M1 set to Bulb, the M-GEN II can be programmed to take single exposures from 0.1-second to as long as 99-minutes and 59.9-seconds. No problems controlling the E-M1 whatsoever.  waytogo.gif

I'll be honest, I'm almost ready to dump the Astroberry rig, lick my wounds, and get the MGEN3.

#9 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:46 PM

I'll be honest, I'm almost ready to dump the Astroberry rig, lick my wounds, and get the MGEN3.

waytogo.gif

Go to the website and download the User Manual (bottom of the web-page).

https://www.365astro...ar-guiding.html

These things are capable of programming extraordinarily-complex multi-part interleaved exposure sequences.

#10 robbieg147

robbieg147

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:30 PM

I can only find cables for Canon cameras for the MGEN I was wondering what cable you use with the EM1?

#11 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:07 PM

I can only find cables for Canon cameras for the MGEN I was wondering what cable you use with the EM1?

Sorry... I should have put that info in my post #5.

This is the needed M-GEN II - to - E-M1 control cable, available at B&H Photo:

Vello 3.5mm-male-to-mini-USB Remote Shutter Release Cable for select Olympus OM Cameras.

https://www.bhphotov..._cable_for.html

Sorry again... here's a European source:

https://teleskop-aus...nts-with-remote

Edited by B 26354, 19 July 2020 - 09:24 PM.

• vidrazor and robbieg147 like this

#12 vidrazor

vidrazor

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:31 PM

Sorry... I should have put that info in my post #5.

This is the needed M-GEN II - to - E-M1 control cable, available at B&H Photo:

Vello 3.5mm-male-to-mini-USB Remote Shutter Release Cable for select Olympus OM Cameras.

https://www.bhphotov..._cable_for.html

Sorry again... here's a European source:

https://teleskop-aus...nts-with-remote

Hmm, had I known about this earlier, I may have tried it. I wound up returning the wireless intervalometer and will have to deal with a wired unit for the time being. I may try experimenting with the E-M1 INDI driver to see if the E-M10 Mk II will recognize the camera shutter open, shut, and save routines.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics