•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question bout polar alignment

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tragusa113

Tragusa113

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2020 - 06:35 PM

So I have read every step how to. And watches every YouTube video and all of them say put in your latitude and point somewhat at Polaris and it should be in your scope. My issue is Polaris is way higher in the sky then what my lat reading is on the mount. I'm at 30° but if I point at Polaris I'm about 40° am I doing something wrong. I have gotten my eq mount to track Jupiter and Saturn with just turning the worm gear so I know it's pretty good. But I want to know why I'm not matching up my lat and where Polaris is in the sky. Thanks for the help or explanation.

#2 darkcloud

darkcloud

Explorer 1

Posted 04 July 2020 - 06:38 PM

Perhaps your mount/tripod is not level?

Perhaps the scale on your mount is not correct?  

Having the mount track properly is what is important.  As long as it does, I would not worry about what the latitide scale on the mount is showing.  

• Tragusa113 likes this

#3 kathyastro

kathyastro

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 04 July 2020 - 06:55 PM

Latitude scales on consumer-grade mounts are notoriously inaccurate.  The scale on my HEQ5 was 5 degrees out.  As darkcloud says, the mount must be level for even an accurate latitude scale to show the right reading.  The scale is just to give you a starting reference.  After that, you should tweak the adjustment to put Polaris in the right position, and ignore the latitude scale.

#4 msl615

msl615

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:02 PM

I agree with the scale not aligned correctly, and perhaps not level, but it you can track the planets fairly well, then the tripod/mount is most likely close to level. I also agree that the scale gets you close and then you can use a variety of methods to fine tune. 

To help us answer a little better can you tell us:

1. What is the mount?

2. Where are you located in latitude?

3. Are you using a polar scope mounted into the RA axis of the mount? 

4.Are you hoping to do astrophoto?

Standing by to learn more about your system.

Mike

#5 Tragusa113

Tragusa113

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:24 PM

It makes sence about the scale not being accurate. It's the stock eq mount for the celestron 70eq astromaster. The tripod is leveled. Just using the finders scope to find Polaris and then 20mm eyepiece through the scope to get it fine tuned. 30 is my lat. I plan on getting a skyguider pro for photos. And I know that has a built in scope and I have polarfinder app on my phone already. It was just the number I was hung up on but like dark cloud said if its tracking that's all that counts.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics