•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar Photosphere July 4, 2020 with 55mm Refractor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Anthony236J

Anthony236J

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 04 July 2020 - 06:42 PM

Hi,

I finally had some time this afternoon for a quick solar sketch. After opening my book I found that my last sketch was almost 2 years ago! Luckily, you all have been posting extremely good sketches to look at during that time :)

Today at around 16:00 UTC I observed the Sun through my 55mm refractor, knowing that a very small active region should be visible. Expecting a tiny dot, I started at 58x and moved upward in magnification, though I was unable to detect any sunspots. After about 10 minutes of searching, I decided to back away with the only other eyepiece on hand - a 25mm orthoscopic. Almost immediately, the tiniest point was readily visible. After some time, I switched back to 58x to check if it would be visible with prior knowledge of the exact location. It was visible as a small, extended spot, but only for a second or two at a time, spaced at 10-20 seconds on average. The seeing completely smeared out the sunspot most of the time. Below a 1mm exit pupil, eye floaters gave many false positive sightings as well. The only way I could be sure that I was viewing a sunspot and not a floater was by moving my eye to make floaters move relative to the Sun's disc. Today turned out to be a good lesson in atmospheric turbulence and patience.

Below is the almost barren view at 14x:

Sunspot Region 2766

• paulsky, Jef De Wit, rerun and 4 others like this

#2 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:42 AM

Anthony,

Fine sketch of Solar Photosphere (On July 4, 2020 with 55mm Refractor) cool.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

• Anthony236J likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics