•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Maximum payload capacity of the HEQ-5 Pro and some other questions

astrophotography cassegrain catadioptric equipment imaging mount SCT
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 avodcap7

avodcap7

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 54° N 24° E

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:04 PM

Hello, 

I've recently started imaging with my celestron C8 coupled with a reducer/corrector, and I have been getting decent results. Unfortunately, they are not good enough for me (too much bending around the edges and it constantly going out of focus). I am considering to buy an EdgeHD 9.25" telescope for a long focal lenght. The problem is with the mount. I have the HEQ-5 Pro and with my current setup it's doing fine. But I tried to calculate the weight of all the equipment with the EdgeHD (OTA, guide scope, guide camera, reducer, imaging camera) and it comes out to about 12 kg. I am concerned about this number because some websites say that the HEQ-5 Pro can handle up to 18 kg, but some say it's only 14. What's the real number? The retailer that sold me the mount told me it was 18 kg. I bought this mount recently and it is practically new.

So, the question is - what's the actual payload capacity and would it be able to carry the EdgeHD 9.25" SCT with extra gear (~12 kg)?

Another question is how would I mount the SCT? All the retailers sell it with a losmandy type saddle, but my HEQ-5 only accepts vixen style. Would appreciate if any links could be given.

Best regards,

Emilis

#2 KTAZ

KTAZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:13 PM

Rule number 1 with AP is to use no more than 50% of the rated load capacity. Some will tell you that you can load it up, but I don't see that as a possibility with a heavy OTA.

I have the standard 9.25 XLT and use a EQ6R which is rated at 22kilos. I would not even consider anything less for an Edge, which is a heavier tube.

Pretty sure the manufacturer says your mount is 15 kilos max.

Edited by KTAZ, 04 July 2020 - 07:16 PM.

#3 KTAZ

KTAZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:14 PM

By the way, those problems you are having may not be focus problems; could be mount vibrations, even wind, due to overloading that HEQ-5.

#4 endlessky

endlessky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Padova, Italy

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:37 AM

I have a NEQ6 Pro and I consider it good enough for a C8 (in terms of imaging), which is the heaviest telescope I own.

As previously said, for astrophotography, it's good practice to take the rated payload of the mount and cut it by 50%. If going for purely visual, then it might be ok to load it close to its maximum payload capacity. Other things need to be taken in consideration, of course, such as length of telescope tube, balancing, symmetry of masses (of other things that you put on top of the telescope, for example for guiding or for powering equipment), cable management, etc.

Bottom line, I don't think I would expect great imaging improvements from putting a 9.25" on a HEQ5 Pro.

If I wanted to get the best performance out of the mount, I would buy a smaller telescope, not a bigger one, than you currently own. My best bet would go towards a widefield refractor (80mm f/6, for example). Easier to handle, easier to guide.

#5 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:58 AM

regarding the weight capacity of the skywatcher HEQ5 it’s full capacity is stated of being around 18Kg 

so a  celestron 9.25 or 11 would be ok for visuel purposes with a few lighter accessories as the sct is not quite so demanding on the mount as it has a better centre of gravity and doesn’t put to much strain on the drives.so for imaging purposes ether scopes really wouldn’t be advisesable for any long exposure imaging.if imaging is something you like to take more seriously skywatcher do the NEQ6 Equatorial mount which would be more favourable and suitable to your needs with a weight capacity of 25kg 

#6 nfotis

nfotis

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 06 July 2020 - 08:36 PM

I remember reading in various sites that the HEQ5 Pro mount is rated up to 18 kg for observing, and up to 11 kg for imaging.

The NEQ6 is quite better (with belt drive and a stiffer tripod), if you can upgrade to it and carry it. I remember a limit of 16 kg for imaging for the NEQ6 mount.

N.F.

PS. (counterweights are not included in these amounts, of course - these are part of the mount)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, cassegrain, catadioptric, equipment, imaging, mount, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics