•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Settings for Nexus DSC & SkySafari Pro with APM Alt / Az mnt

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dinodoc328

Dinodoc328

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:08 AM

I just purchased an APM 120mm SD APO bino scope with an APM fork mount with encoders and a Nexus DSC. I will pair the Nexus DSC with SkySafari Pro. Despite the Nexus DSC manual and the YouTube presentations, I'm still unclear on a few settings.

On the Nexus DSC settings for Select Telescope, it states to choose Telescope 1 -- the YouTube video state to enter 152000,- 152,000 / Alt - AZ / R,D while the manual states 10000,-10000. What are the correct settings?

Under Time Zone: what number does one enter for East coast?

Any specifics on the Nexus DSC WiFi settings with regard to the APM 120's and SkySafari Pro?

Re: SkySafari Pro Settings --> Telescope setup, do you enter Meade LX200 even though it is APM? There is no APM in the list.

The manual instructs you to enter the Mount type as Alt-Az Goto even though it is really Alt-Az. Push-To?

Any other input suggestions, ? for eyepieces, etc.?

I am a computer idiot so any help is much appreciated.

#2 Boki

Boki

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovenia, EU

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:24 AM

Hello,

Regarding the settings, i think you need to enter encoder resolution settings. I don't know what your values might be, as it is dependent on your specific encoder type. I have US digital encoders with 5000 tic per rotation so i enter 5000 for alt and 5000 for az values. Optical encoders usually are from 2000 to 10000 tics per revolution, but new types of encoders have emerged recently (i think it is magnetic) with much higher resolution. It would be a good idea to check the papers you got with your mount, it is probably written somwhere and in case you don't find it, contact the manufacturer or AstroDevices, they also may be of help. And you are right, just select alz-az push-to. It is not that difficult once you do it, but may be for the first time. Good thing is, you can't break anything, just play around with settings a little and the system is very robust and reliable.

Cs, boki

• Hesiod likes this

#3 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:22 AM

I just googled the APM site and the specs say the mount is loaded with 8192 step encoders. So enter 8192 for the Alt and Az setting.

There are a lot of East Coasts in the world.

Meade LX200 is the default setting, leave that set.

As Boki said, you can’t break anything.

#4 Dinodoc328

Dinodoc328

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:53 AM

Many thanks !! I live in New Jersey....so that East Coast.

I could not find any APM links??

#5 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:01 AM

Many thanks !! I live in New Jersey....so that East Coast.

I could not find any APM links??

Just do a Google search for APM Telescopes, or there are posts in the vendors forum here on CN by Markus Ludes, owner of APM.  There is a link on each of his posts.

Rick   

#6 Dinodoc328

Dinodoc328

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:06 PM

Re: SkySafari settings: I went online to Astrodevices with their instructions for set up on the iPhone. "Under Wi-Fi settings, you'll see AD_Nexus_XXXXX (where xxxxx is the serial number of your Nexus)". Mine just said Nexus DSC?? Is that correct?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics