•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ioptron AZPM pro "latest woes"

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 coconut

coconut

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:59 AM

I have just about had it with this mount.After 6 months of ownership and frustration I am ready to throw in the towel.Board and gps swap ,az/alt cable swap,firmware updates,gear adjustments....are some of the latest things I have tried.Every night something different pops up to ruin a session.Tonight for example I can slew from mars or saturn to jupiter and its bang on everytime GREAT but try going from jupiter back to saturn or mars = a big FAIL ??.Ioptron has been great with timely replies and suggestions,but the results has not improved one thing.Since it is still under warranty,my option is to send it back for a look over.This means for the short summer observing season and sending it over the border chances are that a big chunk of it will be missed this year.This is no fun and I did not see this coming.Sad sad sad....

• retroman2 likes this

#2 jloweva

jloweva

Mariner 2

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:24 AM

I would insist on a new one.  No reason you should have to do any of those things on a brand new product, and certainly not all of them. 

#3 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:55 PM

There are always enough bad comments about this mount to keep me from ordering it. I'm sad to hear that your experience with it has been so unpleasant, but thanks for letting us know.

#4 ScottW

ScottW

Messenger

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:31 PM

Clay,

I second your thoughts.

Scott

#5 jloweva

jloweva

Mariner 2

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:42 PM

FWIW, I’ve had two, both of which have worked flawlessly. But like much in life, I guess it’s luck of the draw.  I’ve had great experience with the folks at iOptron, and for the money there’s simply nothing else like the AZMP: dual saddle option, built in gps, built in battery, etc.  It’s a remarkable piece of equipment. 

I’m sorry you’ve had a bad experience. I hope they resolve it to your satisfaction. 

• Spikey131 likes this

#6 coconut

coconut

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:13 PM

Thanks fellows

Yes I have not given up just yet.It has alot of the features I was looking for and Ioptron service has responded when I called on them.We will see what developes in the coming weeks and I will report back.I have been using astro equipment for the last 30 years from Celestron,Meade,Starmaster and so on and I have to say this one has been the most challenging one in past memory.I am a patient man and willing to go the extra mile to figure things out.

like they say "there's always hope" 

#7 dustyc

dustyc

Messenger

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:16 PM

I had 2. The 1st worked perfect for about 2 weeks. Then the saga started. Ioptron is good about service. But I really think they need a gifted electronics and/or board designer to look at things. The mechanics are so simple on this mount. It should be easy to get these consistently good. 

#8 gilbert80

gilbert80

Lift Off

• Loc: Tonawanda, NY

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:44 PM

I have this setup and love it, I observed more objects with it and a ES127 Triplet

in one night than I have ever found in my life, I am 72 years old.  The only problem

I have had is I lost the first two lines on my led display after not using it for three

months this winter. The battery, 3VCR 1220 went bad and I haven't changed it

yet, I understand that "maybe" I can us a CR2032.  Any suggestions?  Could the

little battery in your handset be the fault?   All the best!

#9 ArneN

ArneN

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Norway

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:51 PM

I have had mine for almost three years. IT stays outside under a Telegizmo and never fails. Just switch IT on and ready to go. No need for any alignment either. Ends every session by sending the mount to zero position and ready for the next night. No need for a finder either, just controll everything from SkySafari.

But a battery for the HC might be a way to solve issues.

Arne

#10 biz

biz

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 06 July 2020 - 02:56 AM

Mine has worked faultlessly straight out of the box for around three years and I’m even using an older firmware that’s doing everything that’s needed to be done. It has been highly accurate in targeting and tracking since it was first powered on.

Ive also only had one unit dropped into my home workshop for a look see  since it’s release and all that was needed was a simple adjustment. Not sure why some are having these issues they are complaining about..

cheers

Graham

#11 sewhite

sewhite

Mariner 2

• Loc: North Georgia

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:28 AM

I believe that it's time to start pushing for a replacement.   You are doing iOptron's service and repair for them.    They may not replace it,  but if it were mine, that's what I would do.  Be nice but steady and firm on getting a replacement. 

Hope you and iOptron get this resolved.  

Stan

#12 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:15 AM

Please report back & let us know how this turned out. Thanks.

#13 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:22 AM

Mine worked great, for 3 months.  It then started jumping while tracking with a clicking noise, same problem mentioned in this forum by several individuals.   Ioptron sent instructions to adjust the drive.  After two failed attempts to adjust the drive I sent it back.  They have had it in their shop for 13 days and have not responded to inquiry as to when I might expect it's return.

#14 coconut

coconut

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:32 AM

Dan

Funny every night I take mine out to see what will happen...

Last night it started jumping also for the first time !

I hear the az motor engaging but 80% of the time no movement,I have to move to a higher speed to bump it and then it might work on low maybe...

#15 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2020 - 09:17 PM

Got a reply from Ioptron today saying my mount is being shipped back today.  Also "Service log indicates that both AZI worm assembly with motor was replaced, as well as the battery."  I think that sounds promising, we will see.

• jeremiah2229 likes this

#16 coconut

coconut

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:37 AM

Hope it works out for you Dan.Would you know what serial # yours is (sticker under the base) ?

Apart from the jumping did it not move in az sometimes ?

#17 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:09 AM

Hope it works out for you Dan.Would you know what serial # yours is (sticker under the base) ?

Apart from the jumping did it not move in az sometimes ?

Don't know the number, and no just the jumping and clicking.  I can see why the drive adjustments I did did not work if they had to replace the drives.

#18 StarAlert

StarAlert

Messenger

• Loc: Claremont CA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:04 AM

My AZ pro was clicking/jumping while tracking a couple nights ago. First time it has done that. I figured out quickly that my scope wasn’t balanced properly. I was using a longer dovetail and had to push the scope forward to clear the mount. I re-balanced the scope and problem was solved. 

Edited by StarAlert, 08 July 2020 - 11:04 AM.

• biz, Xeroid and Spikey131 like this

#19 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:59 AM

Ioptron returned my mount yesterday and today I successfully observed the sun off and on between clouds for about an hour.  Tracked well and no jumping or noise viewing at 100x.

• StarAlert likes this

#20 coconut

coconut

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:48 AM

Good to know.I think I will have to send mine in.Can I ask you what firmware your running ?

#21 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:54 AM

Good to know.I think I will have to send mine in.Can I ask you what firmware your running ?

HC V2 190429, Main 190618

#22 coconut

coconut

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:04 AM

I updated mine the other night to the latest to see if it would clear some issues.

HC 200113

Main 190618

Now I lost the wifi with Skysafari ?

Not sure if I have access to previous versions on there site,can't find it.

Happy for you,looks promising !

#23 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:07 AM

The dreaded "upgrade".

#24 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:19 AM

Check your Network SSID name, are you connected to the AZ Pro prior to running SkySafari?

Then check your SkySafari telescope settings.

I updated mine the other night to the latest to see if it would clear some issues.

HC 200113

Main 190618

Now I lost the wifi with Skysafari ?

Not sure if I have access to previous versions on there site,can't find it.

Happy for you,looks promising !

Edited by Xeroid, 10 July 2020 - 10:22 AM.

#25 coconut

coconut

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:24 AM

Thanks Xeroid

Those are the first things I checked even did a factory reset and tried it with SS5.Still no go.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics