•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binotron with SCT, how to connect

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Porkkala

Porkkala

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:47 AM

I have (almost) decided on a Binotron system, mainly because I think the power switch seems convenient. My question is what is your recommendation for how to connect it to a Celestron 8” Evolution.

1) The Binotron 27 SCT Super system that comes with a 2” diagonal.
2) The Binotron 27 Super system (without diagonal) and then purchase another diagonal, like Baader T2.

Is there a common best practice? I would think the Binotron SCT system with included diagonal is guaranteed to work, but many posts (often about Baader Mark V rather than Binotron) seem to favor the Baader diagonal because of shorter light path. The T2 has a male and a female T2-thread. How exactly does this work? Will a T2 diagonal connect directly to the Binotron or do I need something in between? 

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:52 PM

The Binotron interface is not compatible with the T2 diagonal out of the box, but you can make it work with the T2 diagonal by using the RAF Camera T2 adatpter.  This would screw on to the front of the power switch and with this in place, it would allow you to mount your Binotron with power switch directly to the diagonal, which saves a lot of light path. 

https://rafcamera.co...o-m28-5x0-6m-bi

So, you would use a 2" nose on the diagonal, the T2 diagonal, the RAF adapter, the power switch, and the binovewer. 

I you look in the RAF Camera link you will see that one of the pictures below the object picture shows it installed in the configuration I just mentioned. 

The aperture of the C8 will be reduced in low power mode, but by using the shortest possible light path, that reduction is probably only half an inch or maybe even less. 

The convenience of the Binotron is excellent.   You will find that you can do a lot of your observing with just three powers.  

Edited by Eddgie, 05 July 2020 - 05:05 PM.

• Porkkala likes this

#3 Porkkala

Porkkala

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:48 PM

Thanks Eddgie, that was exactly the kind of information I was looking for! I'm not sure I understand this:

So, you would use a 2" nose on the diagonal, the T2 diagonal, the RAF adapter, the power switch, and the binovewer. 

To me it looks like that you actually do NOT use the 2" nose piece of the Binotron; instead you connect Binotron to Power Switch to RAF to T2 to SCT. Am I missing something or are we talking about different things? (I'm just looking at the picture of the Binotron and it's components and the pictures in RAF link you sent). But thanks, this kind of info is hard to understand by just reading product descriptions. 

Edit: Sorry. I just re-read. You never said the 2" nose of the Binotron, you said 2" nose on the diagonal. I understand now. I think.

Edited by Porkkala, 05 July 2020 - 03:50 PM.

#4 Kisslija

Kisslija

Sputnik

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:09 PM

Just be aware if you order from RAF Camera you may be waiting a few months for your order depending on your location. I placed an order on May 7 for an adapter and have yet to receive it. They told me they have been seeing delays with delivery of their US shipments since the beginning of the year.

• Porkkala likes this

#5 Porkkala

Porkkala

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:53 AM

Just be aware if you order from RAF Camera you may be waiting a few months for your order depending on your location. I placed an order on May 7 for an adapter and have yet to receive it. They told me they have been seeing delays with delivery of their US shipments since the beginning of the year.

In my case it's the other way way round. I ordered the adapter last week, got it today. But the Binotron, they are telling me, won't be here for another two months...  (I live in Europe) 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics