•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Full Moon from dark sky site

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MellonLake

MellonLake

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:07 AM

I don't usually go to my dark sky site when the moon is full because honestly why would I, there are really no DSOs to be seen.
However,last night I went to my dark sky site to watch the eclipse and view Jupiter and Saturn. It was a bit of a weird experience, not really used to so much light at the dark sky site. I usually am fumbling around but it was so bright I changed the telescope on the mount without need for a flashlight.

The penumbral eclipse was interesting but a little underwhelming. The moon was less bright and the mare were more apparent but it really did nothing for viewing through the telescope.

Moral of the story is that dark sky site viewing during a full moon (or penumbral eclipse) is probably not worth it. Stay home and view from the yard. At least that way the snacks are handy.
  • siriusandthepup and PXR-5 like this

#2 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: NC

Posted 05 July 2020 - 04:38 PM

It certainly was bright last night🌃

#3 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:32 PM

I don't usually go to my dark sky site when the moon is full because honestly why would I, there are really no DSOs to be seen.
However,last night I went to my dark sky site to watch the eclipse and view Jupiter and Saturn. It was a bit of a weird experience, not really used to so much light at the dark sky site. I usually am fumbling around but it was so bright I changed the telescope on the mount without need for a flashlight.

The penumbral eclipse was interesting but a little underwhelming. The moon was less bright and the mare were more apparent but it really did nothing for viewing through the telescope.

Moral of the story is that dark sky site viewing during a full moon (or penumbral eclipse) is probably not worth it. Stay home and view from the yard. At least that way the snacks are handy.

I typically do not need a flashlight or headlamp to set up equipment under a full Moon with clear skies.  It can be a bit eery how much light the full Moon can put out under clear skies, but does provide some convenience.  Watch out for werewolves though.

Edited by Nicole Sharp, 05 July 2020 - 06:02 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics