•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What are the differences between Celestron CPC non-Edge range & Edge range fork mounts?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 25585

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:19 AM

They are coloured differently, but any technical and capability differences?

#2 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:35 AM

Edge HD is a superior OTA, particularly for Astrophotography. It has a corrector in the baffle that reduces coma and flattens the field compared to as regular SCT. The secondary mirror is also slightly different to provide more back focus. It has mirror locks and vents. However, your optical system is only as good as its weakest link. You will desire better quality eyepieces and cameras to get the best from it. The price difference is justified. 

#3 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:48 PM

There is no difference in the mounts.

• Noah4x4 likes this

#4 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:14 PM

Good spot Don! I have re-read the question. But between us we have covered all angles.

#5 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:42 PM

Yeah, well I actually answered his question, lol!

#6 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:09 PM

I can't recall If I've mentioned this before but it looks like there's a few differences as per this Ad

Redesigned electronics deliver regulated power to the motors which allow for accurate driving of the telescope when weight is not evenly distributed

Innovative Features:

Design - With the introduction of the CPC Deluxe HD series, Celestron has gone back to the drawing board, re-designed and re-engineered the drive train with a larger 6", 180 tooth brass gear and .75" stainless steel worm gear and unique roller bearing design with both Steel and Nylon ball bearings rotating around a wide 9.8" track, designed for smoother tracking accuracy for long exposure astrophotography.

Power Management - Redesigned electronics deliver constant regulated power to the motors making them capable of driving the telescope, even when not perfectly balanced, without sacrificing smooth tracking motion and pointing accuracy across the entire sky.

Performance - For objects near the Meridian, the CPC will track continuously through the Meridian for uninterrupted imaging through the most ideal part of the sky.

• 25585 likes this

#7 25585

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 22 July 2020 - 07:44 AM

Many thanks. I hope the Edge mounts are more robust in construction and components as well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics