•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fungus problem within the lense cell

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Danny778

Danny778

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:36 AM

Dear Cloudy community,

A friend of mine just purchased a second hand TS photoline 115/800. When we opened the scope for inspection we detected fungus spores within the lense cell.

What can be done with the given situation?

We have already wrote an email to Teleskop-Service regarding the matter, should get a reply soon.

Is there a company that deals with these kinds of problems?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Dan.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20200705-WA0036.jpg
  • IMG-20200705-WA0035.jpg

Edited by Danny778, 05 July 2020 - 07:46 AM.

#2 StarDust1

StarDust1

Viking 1

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:06 AM

Dan, you can try to point the scope directly to the sun for a few hours, without any adapters attached to the endpoint.

Edited by StarDust1, 05 July 2020 - 08:15 AM.

• Danny778 likes this

#3 bigdob24

bigdob24

Apollo

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:29 AM

http://arksky.org/asoclean.htm 

This guy used to do stuff like cleaning and repair, not sure if he still does

#4 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 05 July 2020 - 11:19 AM

Assuming you can't return it for a full refund the next step would be to disassemble the lens elements for a thorough cleaning and surface assessment. If you do this yourself be sure to mark the individual elements and note their relative orientation to each other. If not done the fungus will eventually (if it hasn't already), permanently etch the surfaces. Also be sure to wear a face mast and disinfect all surfaces, including the cell, spacers and retaining ring.

Good luck.

#5 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:03 PM

In my opinion it would be better energy expenditure to return the telescope then spending time disassembling and to clean it. especially if there was no notes about the fungus in the selling add.. That fungus probably already ate the coating anyways.

Refund all the way.

• gnowellsct, Bomber Bob and Michael Covington like this

#6 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:32 PM

Sunlight will kill the fungus but not remove it.

The fungus may have done no damage, damaged the coating or etched the glass.  The only way to find out is to take it apart and clean it.  The cleaning part is easy.  The hard part is taking it apart, re-assembling and collimating.  And after all that, you might find that the coatings or glass are damaged.  It does look kinda bad.

If you can, send it back for a refund or have the seller clean it to your satisfaction.

• AndresEsteban likes this

#7 HARRISON SCOPES

HARRISON SCOPES

Vendor-Harrison Telescopes

• Vendors
  • Loc: The Garden of England

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:52 PM

That does look severe, it is unlikely to ever clean completely satisfactorily.
Return it if you can
  • The Luckster likes this

#8 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:00 PM

Dear Cloudy community,

A friend of mine just purchased a second hand TS photoline 115/800. When we opened the scope for inspection we detected fungus spores within the lense cell.

Dan.

Return it to the seller, and get your money back.

#9 StarHugger

StarHugger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Milton Wisconsin, U.S.A

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:45 PM

Definatly return it, if you clean it yourself and the coatings are damaged then likely it wont be worth much and you will wish you had returned it. Hot potato can be a disappointing game to play...

#10 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 05 July 2020 - 11:22 PM

I sent my former Vixen back to Japan to get cleaned due to fungus issues.

So one alternative is to send it to  TS.  I assume that means it goes back to China.  

There may be fees involved, a good company will not make these prohibitive.

Greg N

#11 Danny778

Danny778

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:01 PM

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you all very much.

No answer yet from Telescope-Express..
Will post what answer I get.

It's really unfortunate, this is my friend's first scope he aver got. Hope we will be able to resolve this unfortunate situation.

Thanks everyone again for your help and input.

Clear skies!

#12 Eigen

Eigen

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:08 PM

Fungus growth of that ammount doesn't just suddenly appear. I would return it to the seller asap, unless it was disclosed. I would not spend the money trying to have the lenses cleaned, there is a good chance that etching of the glass has occured imo.

Regards,
Eigen

#13 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:12 PM

- Looks like active growth to me.

- Seepage at one point along the lens edge as the original moisture source.

If the Seller didn't mention it, I'd demand a refund.

• telfish likes this

#14 telfish

telfish

3D Astro Solutions, custom 3D printing for Astrophotography

• Vendors
  • Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:47 PM

When you get the "Tree" branch effect it usually means goodbye coatings and etching of glass surface. A few spots might be cleanable, this likely not. Ask for a refund.

#15 Danny778

Danny778

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:45 AM

TS replyed today:

Hi,
If the fungus is between the lenses, that's pretty complicated. You have to disassemble the lens for cleaning. So write down which lens is in which position and orientation in the frame. Try cleaning with alcohol first. That tolerates the glass and also the remuneration. I once read that acetic acid should help. So put the lentils in dilute acetic acid and let it work. The effect can be increased by slightly warming the acetic acid. But she can't cook! This is not supposed to be that good. I didn't try it myself, so that's at your own risk. The mushroom doesn't like UV light either. Unfortunately, the UV antile of the sun is far from sufficient. Then after successful cleaning the lens has to be reassembled and adjusted. Adjustment is only possible with a lot of experience and the best thing is to have an optical bench at your disposal. Companies such as By the way, Zeiss and Leica do not accept fungus-infested optics for cleaning. We shouldn't do that either. Regards Max

------------------

I just wonder if the fact that humidity was ever able to get in to the lense cell is due to bad manufacturing in the first place.. but that's just my opinion.

I think my friend will return it to the guy who sold it to him. Quite an unfortunate situation all around.

Thank you all for the replies it is much appreciated.

Cheers and clear skies!!

Dan

Edited by Danny778, 09 July 2020 - 02:49 AM.

#16 AdamJ

AdamJ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:26 AM

I can see you having issues returning it to be honest. Anyone willing to sell a scope in that condition is not going to want it back.
  • ShaulaB likes this

#17 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:59 AM

I can see you having issues returning it to be honest. Anyone willing to sell a scope in that condition is not going to want it back.

Hopefully you used Paypal.  If so make a claim and you will get your money back.  You will have to pay to ship it back, however.

Dom Q.

#18 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:21 PM

TS replyed today:

Hi,
If the fungus is between the lenses, that's pretty complicated. You have to disassemble the lens for cleaning. So write down which lens is in which position and orientation in the frame. Try cleaning with alcohol first. That tolerates the glass and also the remuneration. I once read that acetic acid should help. So put the lentils in dilute acetic acid and let it work. The effect can be increased by slightly warming the acetic acid. But she can't cook! This is not supposed to be that good. I didn't try it myself, so that's at your own risk. The mushroom doesn't like UV light either. Unfortunately, the UV antile of the sun is far from sufficient. Then after successful cleaning the lens has to be reassembled and adjusted. Adjustment is only possible with a lot of experience and the best thing is to have an optical bench at your disposal. Companies such as By the way, Zeiss and Leica do not accept fungus-infested optics for cleaning. We shouldn't do that either. Regards Max

------------------

I just wonder if the fact that humidity was ever able to get in to the lense cell is due to bad manufacturing in the first place.. but that's just my opinion.

I think my friend will return it to the guy who sold it to him. Quite an unfortunate situation all around.

Thank you all for the replies it is much appreciated.

Cheers and clear skies!!

Dan

Their reply is astounding ridiculous......IMO. 

To expect someone to go through all that is just "Run-a-round" talk (again IMO).

Send........It......Back.................FAST!

• BFaucett likes this

#19 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:08 PM

Hopefully you used Paypal.  If so make a claim and you will get your money back.  You will have to pay to ship it back, however.

Dom Q.

He shouldn't even be required to do that.  One benefit of buying on Ebay, if you buy there, the unscrupulous seller pays the lot.

#20 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:05 PM

He shouldn't even be required to do that.  One benefit of buying on Ebay, if you buy there, the unscrupulous seller pays the lot.

Interesting.  Didn't realize he bought it on Ebay.  Doesn't Ebay own Paypal?  Too bad Paypal doesn't have the same policy re shipping.

Dom Q.

Edited by daquad, 11 July 2020 - 01:08 PM.

#21 AndresEsteban

AndresEsteban

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:33 PM

Dear Cloudy community,

We have already wrote an email to Teleskop-Service regarding the matter, should get a reply soon.

Is there a company that deals with these kinds of problems?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Dan.

Dan, I think the situation here is critical and by that i mean bad, reallym but really bad! From my point of view, the coating was eaten by the fungus and after that the glass itself was etched... Let's pray not, but I think this is the case... Don't know what Teleskop-Service will answer but probably, the triplet is lost. Unfortunately.

Regards
Andy

#22 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:57 PM

Dan, I think the situation here is critical and by that i mean bad, reallym but really bad! From my point of view, the coating was eaten by the fungus and after that the glass itself was etched... Let's pray not, but I think this is the case... Don't know what Teleskop-Service will answer but probably, the triplet is lost. Unfortunately.

Regards
Andy

I wouldn't say the lens is lost.  Even if the glass is etched, I'll bet the scope would still be color free and put up some sharp images.

However, that is not what the buyer paid for.  So I would take advantage of the Paypal/Ebay policy, return it and get a refund.

Dom Q.

#23 AdamJ

AdamJ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:30 AM

I wouldn't say the lens is lost. Even if the glass is etched, I'll bet the scope would still be color free and put up some sharp images.

However, that is not what the buyer paid for. So I would take advantage of the Paypal/Ebay policy, return it and get a refund.

Dom Q.

#24 AdamJ

AdamJ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:31 AM

If you are going to send it back via PayPal or eBay do it fast as there is something like a 30 day time limit to start a dispute.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics