•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New satellite flares

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dusty99

dusty99

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:51 AM

I used to enjoy watching the Iridium system satellites flare.  The last few months I’ve seen a number of shorter duration flares.  Flashes, really.  Not as long or bright as the close Iridium satellite passes, but still very noticeable.  I don’t think these are starlink (singular, and in different parts of the sky) as I’ve watched those lately too, and they are dimmer across the whole pass.  Anyone notice something like I’ve described?

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:56 AM

I used to enjoy watching the Iridium system satellites flare.  The last few months I’ve seen a number of shorter duration flares.  Flashes, really.  Not as long or bright as the close Iridium satellite passes, but still very noticeable.  I don’t think these are starlink (singular, and in different parts of the sky) as I’ve watched those lately too, and they are dimmer across the whole pass.  Anyone notice something like I’ve described?

I've seen all sorts of satellites flare over the years. Just not predictable like the Iridium ones. Watched a really nice flare by the Hubble Space Telescope at the very end of a nice pass.

#3 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:05 PM

I've seen the USA 186 spy satellite flare fairly brightly a number of times.

http://www.astrophot...es.html#USA-186

#4 dusty99

dusty99

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:14 PM

That’s a cool site, Dave.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics